Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ProMariner ProSport 20 Plus

So I think I want to install a ProSport 20 battery charger which is a dual bank 20 amp charger. However, I was thinking that since it's not that much more for the 20 Plus, which is a three bank charger, that I should just get that instead even though I only have two batteries. This way, if I decide to add a third battery in the future, I won't have to upgrade the charger.

So, my question is, does anyone know for sure if the 20 Plus will work with just two batteries? I tried calling ProMariner but all I get is a recording.

Thx.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

hey Al,
    why worry about a 2 bank charger when you have your relay? Can't you just hook up a charger to one of your batts and it will charge both?

What is the benefit to charging each of the batts seperately? Maybe there's a thread on the issue but I had a guy local try and tell me that there really is no need to charge the batts seperately. Just hook up a charging source to one and not worry about it?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Al,
    Even if you begin with identical batteries, you're not using your two batteries equally, you're not putting them into storage with an equal charge, they're not aging equally and as a result they have different impedances.
    So for maximum longevity use a dual-bank charger. This way each battery is
    profiled and conditioned independently.
    If two batteries are of equal age, size and chemistry and are permanently in parallel on the same bank then this only requires a single charger bank.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    hey Al,
    why worry about a 2 bank charger when you have your relay? Can't you just hook up a charger to one of your batts and it will charge both?

What is the benefit to charging each of the batts seperately? Maybe there's a thread on the issue but I had a guy local try and tell me that there really is no need to charge the batts seperately. Just hook up a charging source to one and not worry about it?
    vikingm

There is a post on this. See below and go to pg 4 of the post.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9355&page=4
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I have 3 Dekas in my boat and only use a ProMariner20 dual bank as well. This is with the advice of David of Earmark Marine and of course they did the install of my system. My system only takes a few hours to charge the batteries even after a full day on the lake.

I went with the Prosport 12 2 bank, with 3 agm's though it takes a little longer to charge, I'm really happy with the performance.

PWI as usual...

So this winter, I am going to add a second stereo battery to my system for a total of three batteries (one starting, two for the stereo). I have the Prosport 20 Gen 2 dual bank charger and want to confirm the correct way to wire the batteries and the charger. So I think I should connect the two stereo batteries together, that is, wire the pos terminals together and wire the neg terminals together. Then I connect one pair of charger leads to one of the batteries and since they are wired together, they act like one battery.

And I can wire the amps to either battery since they are connected together.

Is this all correct?

FYI, the battery in my Durango died last night and it just so happens that it takes a Group 27 so I took my existing Group 27 battery out of the boat and installed it in the Durango. So I am open to suggestions as to what two batteries I should get. I can get two Group 27 115 amp hour batteries at costco for $69 each. Is there any reason to spend more? FYI, I am running three amps now for a total of 2,050W RMS and from what I have read, I should be able to get several hours of play time with two Group 27's especially since I don't run them at full volume for that long when we are parked.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    So I think I want to install a ProSport 20 battery charger which is a dual bank 20 amp charger. However, I was thinking that since it's not that much more for the 20 Plus, which is a three bank charger, that I should just get that instead even though I only have two batteries. This way, if I decide to add a third battery in the future, I won't have to upgrade the charger.

So, my question is, does anyone know for sure if the 20 Plus will work with just two batteries? I tried calling ProMariner but all I get is a recording.

Thx.

Al
    yes you can tape of the third lead...

I would look into Dual Pro chargers(they have a sportmans series = Cheaper) I use them in my bass boat... very popular amongst bass boats who have 3 and 4 battery systems. Very nice product and excellent customer service....

also the reviews on the Promariner Prosports are horrible......
    here is just a sample of bad reviews...
    http://www.basspro.com/ProMariner®-P...97825/-1464912
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 11-10-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Al, I run two group 31 Deka batteries on the stereo with a couple less amp hour rating than the group 27 you listed. You'll have plenty of play time. Provided you maintain them properly which I'm sure you will. I've had no problem with my dual bank 20 amp ProMariner. It's the most popular charger out there for wakeboats. I also have a plug ran to the drivers side v-drive locker so I can plug in without climbing in the boat
    Last edited by you da man; 11-10-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Al, I run two group 31 Deka batteries on the stereo with a couple less amp hour rating than the group 27 you listed. You'll have plenty of play time. Provided you maintain them properly which I'm sure you will. I've had no problem with my dual bank 20 amp ProMariner. It's the most popular charger out there for wakeboats. I also have a plug ran to the drivers side v-drive locker so I can plug in without climbing in the boat
    Thanks. Looks like you have the same charger as me - so are your batteries and your charger wired like I described?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV