Thread: Kenwood Upgrade

Default Kenwood Upgrade

Hello gang I have an 06 outbakck V running Kenwood 4 channel amp with Kenwood speakers and Sub (factory setup) sounds good but not great – No tower Speakers.

Looking at upgrading the entire system and adding 4 tower speakers.

I have narrowed it down to the following choices:

6 new Polk 651 to replace the stock Kenwood’s
    Add 4 audio forms tower speakers with Polk mm651

Question:
    Should I keep the Kenwood and add an additional amp and reconfigure the setup-up?
    Should I just start fresh with 2 new amps - What amp(s) setup do you guys recommend?
    Will I need to change the stock Sub?
    How much of the original wiring can be reused – Looking at doing this myself and don’t want to spend too long on the set-up (prefer being towed on the wakeboard).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Dany

good choices on the speakers. the 651's sound fantastic. not sure on your budget. personally, I ditched the 2 kenwood amps and replaced them with 3. one on the cabins, one for the sub and one for the towers. lots of the guys on here are using a 5ch for the boat/sub and a dedicated amp for the towers from kicker. great way to go as well. the stock sub is ok for some applications, but the way it's installed was poor. if you ask anyone on here that has upgraded the factory sub, they will tell you to do it. the difference is worth it. if you have the kenwood excelon dvc10, just getting it into a good box will make a world of difference. I moved that sub(in a proper box) and one of the kenwood 4ch amps to a pontoon boat and also ran 4db651's off it. sounds 100% better than it did in my boat..
    wiring is a personal choice. it would now be the weakest link. I would say change it, and most others would as well if you are going to the expense/time of changing out the rest of the system, but that's up to you and your time schedule..

you'll find tons of information in the audio section. spend some time searching and reading the posts...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

thanks Sandm;

For the kicker amps - what model for the 5 chanel sub/cabin and what model for 4 towers?

not real familiar with kicker amps, as I went fosgate, but I would guess that phil might chime in on this. he's kicker's resident guru on here. they make great products and many on here are using them with great results..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I went with a JL Audio M6600 6 channel amp for the 6 Polk db651 cabin speakers and a Kicker zx700.5 for the 4 db651 tower speakers and sub. Sounds awesome! Be sure to get a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub and wire it parallel so that it presents a 2 ohm load to the amp which means it will deliver 420w rms vs 210w @ 4 ohms. I wanted to stick with 2 amps instead of 3 and these two amps get the job done well.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Smile

Great! thanks for the advise, will start shopping