Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil and Service

Default Oil and Service

Trying to find 15W-40 Pennzoil Marine oil. Can't find it locally. Wondering what everyone else runs.

Also, do you replace the impellor every 100 hours no matter what? I just took the one out of my boat. The boat has 300 hours on it. From what I can tell the impellor has never been replaced. The impellor says Johnson 812 which is the OEM impellor also the screws were covered in paint and the paint broke loose when I took the cover off. So all in all it looked like it had never been touched. I'm replacing the impellor anyways but just was wondering if you guys replace them every 100 like says or just 1 a year. This one has 4 little tears in it but still has all the flaps and no pieces are missing.
    2006 Mobius LSV

I'm using Mobile One Synthetic 5-30.

I just changed my impeller for the first time since I got the boat new 2 years ago. My impeller had 400 hours on it. It looked brand new still. I know the manual for the motor says to change it every year, but I would say it depends on how often you are using your boat and how feasable it is to suck things up into your impeller. I have a water strainer on mine.
    Nate

There are several threads on recommended oil for these engines if you do some searching. In the end many go with Rotella 15-40 because it's cheap, easy to find, and meets all the performance specs.

As for impeller I would tend to favor replacing every 100 hours as cheap insurance. I suppose you could remove and inspect more frequently, but for the hassle I'd keep one decent spare and just replace every 100 hours regardless of condition.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    In the end many go with Rotella 15-40 because it's cheap, easy to find, and meets all the performance specs.

I'm one of the many for the reasons above cause I could not find the Pennzoil anymore-wallmart was the only one I could find it at but they dont carry it anymore.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

napa here doesn't. special order, or so I was told. no one in the valley sells it and dealers have it in some kind of drum.
    I switched to mobile synth like thesack. several dealers here have said to switch around the 50hr mark once a good breakin is done. just remember if you go full synth, you shouldn't ever go back to regular oil..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I was just seeing. Was trying to find something that O'reilys would carry. Since I can get the oil there for about 40% off. I know they don't carry the pennzoil marine.
    2006 Mobius LSV

if your not going to use a synthetic I would probably use a diesel oil.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    just remember if you go full synth, you shouldn't ever go back to regular oil..
    Why? I've heard that before, just curious as to your reasoning.
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by K_E_N View Post
    Why? I've heard that before, just curious as to your reasoning.

Yeah, that's not true anymore. You can switch back and forth all you want, you can even mix them together.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    Yeah, that's not true anymore. You can switch back and forth all you want, you can even mix them together.
    I just like to hear people's reasoning on issues such as that. As a young man, working in my dad's auto garage, we had a particular customer who would have us change oil in his Toyota pick-up. He would always supply the oil, Texaco Haveline HD30, 10W40, AND (not or) 5W30, in vayring amounts, every oil change. His reasoning? He heard that multiple viscosity was better for engine life and he wanted to get all he could out of his truck. We never even attempted to explain that to him. We simply agreed, did what he asked, and got paid.
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.