Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A trip to the Edge

Day 3.5 of my trip to the Edge - The Liquid Edge, just south of Bloomington, IL.
    Skied 3 sets with Wade Cox on Saturday - what a great guy. Very patient. Doug and Kristin (owners) are super and both understand the sport and coaching very well.

I am having a blast and have not totally shredded my hands yet, but did forget to tape this morning... Been having some weather, but the site seems to stay pretty calm under most conditions. I am scheduled to go two sets a day (maybe 3) until Thursday.

http://theliquidedge.com/

Having a great time - wish you were here....
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Very cool - I did wakeboard lessons in Orlando last year and it was awesome. I'd love to get some slalom lessons - if you don't mind me asking, what is the cost per set, assuming thats how they charge.
    2013 Outback V

I think Doug is charging $50 per set.. Well worth it. Plenty of instruction after each pass and he is very observant, has a good idea for what you may have problems with, and good descriptions on fixes. And very patient. I have been here for a few days now, and seen some nasty weather and the course seems to alway be in good water.

This was an 7.5 hour drive for me and there is a very good chance I will make this trip again. It is so great to be around people who 'get it' when it come to slalom, in a very relaxed environment.

Hey, Benson - You gotta have some video. We like pictures. Video is even better. Great to hear you are enjoying the experience. I did not even know there was something like this in Illinois. How you holding up? What are the local accommodations? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Actually holding up pretty well. Being 50 lbs lighter really helps and I have finallay adjusted to my new ski. Biggest concern right now is the hands, so have gone through some duct tape... So far nothing ripped open yet. But right now I am really beat. Not as sore as I thought I would be. I expected to be really sore after 2 days - now just waiting for the other shoe to drop.. But Doug has a nice hot tub that you can jump in after a set to try to avoid some of the pain.

There are no accomodations on site, but there is a decent motel a few blocks away. Bloomington and Champaign are reasonably close. We were in Champaign for dinner tonight.

Hope to have videos from Saturday by tommorrow. Otherwise not a lot of photo ops.

Mmmm, Papa Del's Pizza in Champaign ?????? Don't forget to go to visit Avanti's in Bloomington and get a famous "Gondola". Glad to hear you're holding up well.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I am learning so much here. My original goal was just to get a couple full passes before I left. But instead I have been running the course almost every pass. Considering the number of bad habits I have to break - wow. Doug is so patient and has been a huge help. I have completely changed my approach to skiing - I don't get as fatigued - running 6-8 passes per set - 2 sets per day. Don't sound like much - but holy cow...

Worked on gates today - totally rethinking my start - from the pull out to the initial turn in - amazing how simple things have huge impact.

This is possibly the most fun I have ever had (away from the family), such a relaxed atmosphere and one-on-one attention. I can't say enough.

Benson - If memory serves correct, there is a place in Bloomington called Luca Tavern. Makes thin crust pizza. Place has been around for years - like before WWII? On a corner location. Might try it if looking for something different. Glad you are holding up, having a great time, and learning a lot. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Benson, recall that thread last month about the ski fin wing, that you, I and others weighed in on? What did these guys at the school have to say about it regarding:
    -use of
    -calibration
    ...as it applies to your skiing?
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

We did not tweek the fin or the wing. We moved my bindings back to the stock location. That was it. I am not good enough nor skiing short enough for the changes in fin or wing to be significant. I have proven that to myself in the past by making radical changes to the wing and barely noticing it. The emphasis was on relaxtion, body position, and better understanding of the pre-turn and gate.