Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ****Depth Gage Problem****

So my depth gage just shows me this --- when I am cruising anywhere from 18mph and up. If I slow down or stop then it kick's back on. It is the factory gage. I was under the impression that it is tied into the paddle wheel? My perfect pass, temp and spedo all work fine. Has anyone expeirienced this problem before? Should I just not mess with it and just install a new one?
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

If you look in the manual, it says this is normal. I have the Moomba factory depth guage, but I installed it myself. I have pretty much the same issue, but it can happen at almost any speed.

It seems to worse if we are porpoising (which is fairly common). It comes and goes as it wills, even if we aren't moving.

*shrug* I've gotten used to it, but we mainly stay in a small area, so I just learn areas to avoid.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

Yeah I read in the manual that it could be a bad connection so I am going to unplug it use some connector cleaner on it and plug it back in and see if that helps.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Is this factory installed or did you install it yourself. I had relocated mine when I redid my Ballast system. I used silicone to glue mine down. Bad idea. I removed it and cleaned off all the silicone and used 5 Min Epoxy instead. No more problems.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Quote Originally Posted by tazz3069 View Post
    Is this factory installed or did you install it yourself. I had relocated mine when I redid my Ballast system. I used silicone to glue mine down. Bad idea. I removed it and cleaned off all the silicone and used 5 Min Epoxy instead. No more problems.
    It is the original factory. I did not move mine. And I installed my ballast intake through hulls in the same area you did.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by stretch55 View Post
    So my depth gage just shows me this --- when I am cruising anywhere from 18mph and up. If I slow down or stop then it kick's back on. It is the factory gage. I was under the impression that it is tied into the paddle wheel? My perfect pass, temp and spedo all work fine. Has anyone expeirienced this problem before? Should I just not mess with it and just install a new one?
    stretch,

Hmm, that's a tough one. FYI, mine works all the time whether at rest or at full speed. The only time I get the "---" is if I am in water deeper than 199'.

The depth gauge is not tied into the paddle wheel. There is a transducer (a curcular hockey puck looking thing) that is epoxied to the floor of the boat in the bilge area. This is what sends and receives a signal. I don't know why it would not operate above a certain speed. The only thing I can think of is if you installed one of your thru hull intakes in front of it. In that case, the thru hull could cause enough turbulence at speed that the transducer can't transmit thru it.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by stretch55 View Post
    It is the original factory. I did not move mine. And I installed my ballast intake through hulls in the same area you did.
    What? Your XLV is five years old and the transducer hasn't detached from the hull by itself yet? Lucky you. Its adhesive might finally be cracking and coming loose though. If it is loose, you could try to pull it off and epoxy it down.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Tazz where did you relocate yours to??
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

I have to look. I think I found a place close to center and away from the scuppers. I did use 5 min epoxy to glue it down. Now everything works great.

Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

I have to look. I think I found a place close to center and away from the scuppers. I did use 5 min epoxy to glue it down. Now everything works great.

Tazz
    Do you remember the brand and type of epoxy you used?
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD