Default Tow hitch height

What's the proper tow hitch height for a 2006 OBV on a single axle boatmate trailer? I've towed this boat for years with a Nissan Frontier and Pathfinder and never really worried about it, towed fine. This year I'm towing with lifted Jeep Rubicon and even with the HD springs for towing it's tongue heavy and I want to make sure the load is balanced as designed.

Is it just a matter of getting the trailer level front to back or is there more to it than that? If that's it I can take measurements against level and flip the hitch or get another one to level it out...
    Last edited by scottman; 06-11-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottman View Post
    Is it just a matter of getting the trailer level front to back or is there more to it than that? If that's it I can take measurements against level and flip the hitch or get another one to level it out...
    Yes, it should be level when it's attached to the vehicle. Measure the height in front of and behind the trailer wheels, then average it. The difference between that height and the current height (near the ball) is the amount of lift that you'll need.

I had to get a lifted ball mount as well. I found that only certain ones were rated for enough tongue weight, so please check the specs on whatever you buy.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Right around level is ideal. Better to be low an inch than high though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!