Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Swim Platform Ladder

Has anyone on here put a undermount ladder on their swim platform? Not everybody that I go boating with is able to jump in and out of the water with just the swim platform. I know most people that do water sports are in good shape but I still want everyone to be able to still enjoy my boat. I take my mom and grandma out on the boat at times and they have a hard time. So has anyone mounted one of these under the boat.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=191797F

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-6131-di...nt-ladder.aspx

That is the one I am looking at installing. I was looking at mounting it to one side so that when you slide it out the ladder would come out the side. Like Malibu has done in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrccxP4q3Y

But I don't have the space between the flatform mounts and the edge of the platform. Unless I start modifying mounts to incorporate the ladder as well.

Does anyone see any reason I can't mount it to where it is between the swim platform mounts and slides out the back of the boat like in the picture below?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    Has anyone on here put a undermount ladder on their swim platform? Not everybody that I go boating with is able to jump in and out of the water with just the swim platform. I know most people that do water sports are in good shape but I still want everyone to be able to still enjoy my boat. I take my mom and grandma out on the boat at times and they have a hard time. So has anyone mounted one of these under the boat.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=191797F

http://www.savvyboater.com/p-6131-di...nt-ladder.aspx

That is the one I am looking at installing. I was looking at mounting it to one side so that when you slide it out the ladder would come out the side. Like Malibu has done in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrccxP4q3Y

But I don't have the space between the flatform mounts and the edge of the platform. Unless I start modifying mounts to incorporate the ladder as well.

Does anyone see any reason I can't mount it to where it is between the swim platform mounts and slides out the back of the boat like in the picture below?
    My concern would be, is the swim platform thick enough to screw the ladder into and will there be enough screw engagement to bear the weight of the people using the ladder? On the vid, u can see where Malibu glassed in a backer board that the ladder is screwed to. U won't have that.

I guess u can drill holes all the way thru the platform, cut small round holes in the Seadek rubber mat for the bolt heads and use bolts instead of screws.

Very nice of u by the way to think about doing this for your elders.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I may have an answer for you. Somewhere I have a stainless loop handle that I was going to install 2 boats ago to help people climb back in the ski/runabout. I wonder if it could be mounted on the side of the platform to give them that extra (nice) grab handle to pull up onto the platform. If you think it would help I'll post a pic and if you like it I'll ship it to you.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

The swim platform is actually pretty thick. From what I have seen when I look underneath. It looks like the platform was built with a 3/4" piece of plywood and then fiberglassed of the plywood. I know there is wood in the swim deck because I was there when they installed my swim platform and had to help them with it. When we drilled the holes for the platform brackets wood chips came out.

I was thinking about mounting the ladder under the platform between the two swim platform brackets. Was gonna mount it offset of center along either the left or right bracket. I noticed the boat has a little roster tale in the middle right behind the boat. So figured i didn't want to mount anything right in the middle under the platform. Was worried the water would damage the ladder. That and if I mount it in the middle of the platform where when the ladder is extended it will be sticking back from the boat. That way you could use the handle that is mounted in the middle of the boat in the back to help get up and out of the water.

Any of this making any sense?
    2006 Mobius LSV

The swim platform is actually pretty thick. From what I have seen when I look underneath. It looks like the platform was built with a 3/4" piece of plywood and then fiberglassed of the plywood. I know there is wood in the swim deck because I was there when they installed my swim platform and had to help them with it. When we drilled the holes for the platform brackets wood chips came out.

I was thinking about mounting the ladder under the platform between the two swim platform brackets. Was gonna mount it offset of center along either the left or right bracket. I noticed the boat has a little roster tale in the middle right behind the boat. So figured i didn't want to mount anything right in the middle under the platform. Was worried the water would damage the ladder. That and if I mount it in the middle of the platform where when the ladder is extended it will be sticking back from the boat. That way you could use the handle that is mounted in the middle of the boat in the back to help get up and out of the water.

Any of this making any sense?
    Should be fine. The only thing is if you surf at all, the underside of the swim platform is going to have a lot of water pushing on it so you better be sure that there's a way to solidly secure the ladder so the water does not force it to open.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'm curious about this too since some of the people I'll go out with might have a little trouble getting on the platform. Definitely let us know how it turns out.

As of right now I don't surf. We want to maybe give that a try latter but not right now. I'll probably put the ladder on the back right side. Because most people surf on that side but I'm goofy foot when I wakeboard so I guess I would surf goofy as well on the left side instead of the right side like most people. I'll get the ladder ordered. If I mount it in the middle and find out issues i'll let everyone know.
    2006 Mobius LSV

this whole year i been kickin around the same idea where to put it what to get it. sounds like you have a pretty good idea so please let us know how it turns out i'm very interested in copying if it holds up for ya this summer
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

Just ordered the ladder from go2marine. I have used them before and seen where people ordered stuff on here before from them so was more comfortable with them then the other place. Price was the same and come to find out was the exact same manufactor. When it comes in I'll put some pictures up.

I think with mounting tho I will be fine. I know there is a piece of plywood in that swim deck. The swim platform mounts have 1" long screws holding them on. So I was thinking about using some 1" long 5/16" lag bolts to hold it on. Anyone got any better ideas or see any issues with this?
    2006 Mobius LSV

Just ordered the ladder from go2marine. I have used them before and seen where people ordered stuff on here before from them so was more comfortable with them then the other place. Price was the same and come to find out was the exact same manufactor. When it comes in I'll put some pictures up.

I think with mounting tho I will be fine. I know there is a piece of plywood in that swim deck. The swim platform mounts have 1" long screws holding them on. So I was thinking about using some 1" long 5/16" lag bolts to hold it on. Anyone got any better ideas or see any issues with this?
    Walb,

I checked out my swim platform a little more closely today and it's the same thickness thru out so it should be no problem to mount the ladder to it at any location u like. I would use the longest screws u can use without poking out the top.

Let us know how it works out.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV