Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP!!! Water Pump went out trying to replace...

Water pump failed, trying to replace it as I am typing this. Got the main pump and everything already out. Yes, it failed that bad and seperated from the mounting plate.

I CAN NOT get that d@mn plate out for the life of me. 3 hours running now, tried everything I can think of while spraying brake cleaner on it.

NEED HELP!!!

There's gotta be away to get the plate out of the pulley. Everything I have read says, 3 bolts and it comes right out. NOT HAPPENING!

Please help me! There are 6 holes are the other 3 used to help get this thing out somehow?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dereklschmidt; 06-10-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    We only fear what we don't understand...

00 Mobius V, PP, 2200lbs ballast, 3 amps, 12" sub, Alpine CD/MP3

This is mounted inside the crankshaft pully...

Man, I've tried everything short of tapping holes and running long bolts through them to work it out. And I think I'll have to remove the muffler/exhaust to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by dereklschmidt View Post
    Water pump failed, trying to replace it as I am typing this. Got the main pump and everything already out. Yes, it failed that bad and seperated from the mounting plate.

I CAN NOT get that d@mn plate out for the life of me. 3 hours running now, tried everything I can think of while spraying brake cleaner on it.

NEED HELP!!!

There's gotta be away to get the plate out of the pulley. Everything I have read says, 3 bolts and it comes right out. NOT HAPPENING!

Please help me! There are 6 holes are the other 3 used to help get this thing out somehow?
    Derek,

The first time I changed the impeller, I tried to remove the whole pump like you are doing and came across the same issue - it would not come off no matter what I did. I think mine is either rusted or painted in place. I know of others that were able to get theirs off relatively easily so it has to come off. Will the three screws you removed thread into the other three holes? If so, that might be the way to get them off.

Let us know how you eventually get it off.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al,

I thought the same thing! Unfortuantely, they do not. Not a single hole on that plate feels threaded to me. I also started a thread on WakeWorld and someone suggested soaking it in penetrating oil and letting it sit over night so I am trying that. If it doesn't work I may have to take it in. I don't have a choice, my pump is toast!

I'll keep you posted, and please let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks.

If the pump is no good it means you don't have to worry about ruining it trying to take it off. Why not try heating the plate with either an acetylene torch or propane soldering torch. If you can get a puller of some sort on it, it may not even take that much heat. Iv'e done this before with pittman steering arms with great success.
    2006 Moomba OBV-"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you".

Penetrating oil didn't work, tried a big punch and hammer this morning and it still wouldn't budge.

I've tried heating it to no avail as well.

Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet and haul it in?

You have probably already tried this, but is it a reverse thread pattern. Last resort call SC and ask, most likely they have some sort of high dollar puller.
    2006 Moomba OBV-"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you".

Taken it in is out of the question now I think. Only indboard service dealer in 300 miles is a week to week & a half backed up. Need to find some way to get this thing off....

Some others have recommened PB Blaster instead of the liquid wrench I used, guess I will try that, heat it and soak it. Then try to pry the thing off.

Thanks for all your input & please keep it coming...

Could u post a pic of what it looks like now? Maybe that will help spark some ideas from us.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Here is a picture I just took of what I am working with.

Is the shaft sticking out part of the crank or part of the pump that will come out with the mounting plate?

Let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images