I was surfing behind a Malibu my friend owns this weekend and all I could thing about was what a wedge would do on my boat. We had the wedge down, 500 lbs. of ballast in the corner, and 400lbs. of human ballast one side of the boat. At 10.5 mph it threw out the biggest surf wake I have ever seen. I have heard that the transom on the Malibu's are 3/4" thick to take the load of the wedge. I am serious about trying to make one to put on my boat, but I don't want to start drilling holes and find out that my transom is too thin to take the load. I would assume that all the load from the wedge is pretty much straight down and only the drag of the hydrofoil would give any actual torque on the mount.

If you guys have any input on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. I found one old thread from 2008 that talked about it although it had no final result posted. The boat is a 1998 Mobius.

I know I could just load my boat down with ballast but it is a small boat and I hate having to deal with bags every time I go out.