Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There are so many jokes just hanging out there waiting... I wonder who had the choosey mother? And David, the dog and peanut butter thing is too funny.... I will leave that one alone...

Sorry adsman, I am afraid we are going off-topic...

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    adsman
    . IF you decide you have the Which L5 woofer do you have, the dual 2-ohm or the dual 4-ohm ? Let me know that and we can help out with amp and power recommendation. If you have not purchased the woofer yet, consider the dual 4-ohm woofer, as we can parallel the coils and run it on a class D sub amp for max power.

Let us know!

Phil
    Kicker
    thanks for ALL the great knowledge and advice... Think I'm gonna go with a zxm700.5 with a L5 10"... Phil, do you still recommend the dual 4 ohm?
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by adsman View Post
    thanks for ALL the great knowledge and advice... Think I'm gonna go with a zxm700.5 with a L5 10"... Phil, do you still recommend the dual 4 ohm?
    adsman,

I am running the ZX700.5 with the 5th channel driving a DVC 4 ohm 12" Exile sub. You should definitely get a DVC 4 ohm sub and wire the voice coils in parallel so the amp sees a 2 ohm load. This way, it will send 420W rms to the sub.

If you go with a single voice coil 4 ohm sub, then it will only get 210W rms from the amp.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by adsman View Post
    yup, dual 4-ohm, as CAB shared below

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    adsman,

I am running the ZX700.5 with the 5th channel driving a DVC 4 ohm 12" Exile sub. You should definitely get a DVC 4 ohm sub and wire the voice coils in parallel so the amp sees a 2 ohm load. This way, it will send 420W rms to the sub.

If you go with a single voice coil 4 ohm sub, then it will only get 210W rms from the amp.

Al

I also have the same setup as Al, the Exile 12 and custom LSV box powered by the ZX700.5 @ 2ohms for 420w and it's so much better than a standard 10" sub on the hump. It's amazing how much sound is generated and how clear it is.
    2007 Mobius LSV

The only thing that surprised me about my Exile equipment was the Big12 Sub. Seriously...........It is so loud that when it is cranked-up, it makes the hair on your arm stand-up when seated in the driver's seat. I can't imagine anything better.
    Best Regards,

Jason

2007 Moomba Mobius LSV Sandrock/Black
    EXILE Equipment
    4-XM-7 Tower Speakers
    6-XT-65 Cabin Speakers
    1-Big12 Subwoofer
    Amps--Xi 1500.1, Xi 800.4 and 2--S400.4

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Adsman

On that note I'd also suggest you look at putting a 12 " woofer into your lsv. If possible use a port tuned setup. A 10" setup just doesn't offer the output that a decent 12" woofer can. Sometimes people often think that they don't want or need a larger diameter 12" woofer. Case in point would be "Cab" on here. He was very reluctant to step up and I think ultimatley he was pretty happy now that he did. I know razz and a few other guys on here also made the jump. I'd solicte some of their oppinions.

There are threads on here about the Exile LSV bass setup if you want to read what's available for your boat. But beyond the exile setup... Whatever brand you choose... Go with a 12. Assuming you have an amp that can run it.
    Wow, I missed this post from Brian (on pg 1) when I replied to this thread (on page 2). Brian is right - I was reluctant at first to step up to a custom enclosure and 12" sub thinking that I was going to just stick with my 10" sub in the hump. Boy am I glad I went for it. Even without a dedicated sub amp, the Exile enclosure and the Shift S12D DVC 12" 4 ohm sub sounds incredible. Tons of output and very musical - no more uncontrolled boominess as before with the 10" in the hump set up.

Razz, who also went with the same set up, used to have exactly what you are contemplating - a 10" sub in a sealed enclosure mounted on top of the hump. As you can see from his post, he is a happy camper as well

So I suggest you go with the Exile set up off the bat - you will be thrilled and you'll have done it right the first time.

Below is a pic of my set up. Mine was the prototype so it has a different grill and fascia than the final product (and I personally like it better ).

Last edited by cab13367; 06-20-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

wow this thread has turned into a book..heheh!

So much tech information I think I lost track of the original question. Honestly, I'd put a 12 in there if you can afford it and forget a 10" if at all possible. You'll get a lot more happy performance. I know kicker says the L5 is bigger but its still 86 db efficient. Putting it up against Cab's Exile setup wouldn't really be a fair fight for it. Point here isnt to bag on Kicker. On the contrary, if that brand interests you, step up into their 12.

The Exile solution gives you an enclosure and woofer that drops right into the helm area. And includes the slick fascia panel to finish it all off.

Regardless of what solution you choose, post up some finished install pics so we can all see.

Cheers!

-Brian
    Exile audio

Can you tell me what you mean by "in the hump." I have a 2005 Mobius LSV I am wanting to add a sub to, but not sure the best way to do it. Also, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chuck

Hunter -

The "hump" is the foot rest. The Exile enclosures are boat specific and change a little for each year. shoot me an email to [email protected] and i can layout some options for you.

Cheers

- Brian
    Exile Audio