Hybrid View

Default New Surfer Questions

Hey all. I want to try surfing this year........Never done it =/

I have an 07 OBV-----any recommendations for a board, rope and how to set up the boat?

Start with a bigger board. Use a T-handle cuz it's the safest. You don't want to get caught up in it. Fill the center ballast and the surf side only and have everybody sit on the surf side. Wakeplate all the way up (or around 3/4 up depending on shape, etc.). Around 9.5-10.5 mph. Good luck! Enjoy!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kane. What what size board do you think I should get? Im 5 10 165lbs also my wife is 5 0 100lbs so was hoping I could get 1 board

There are several great how to videos out there, including this site. Pay special attention to how to get up. Getting up is just like any other water sport: keep your arms straight and your knees bent. If you can't get up in 3-5 tries, keep your knees bent longer
    http://www.inlandsurfer.com/videos-howto.asp

We started with the Broadcast. It's a super easy board for literally anyone to get up on.

Rule #1: don't be too quick to throw in the rope. a) you're incredibly likely to fall because you get off balance (I still fall occasionally if I'm not careful throwing in the rope) and b) finding the sweet spot is hard is you'll be turning the boat around constantly for pick-ups because you lost the wake.

Just ride back there and hold the rope in one hand. Remember arms always straight, so as you get slack in the rope move your arm down to your waist, rather than pulling it back to your chest. If we are turning quickly or in rough water, I will keep the rope and balance it on my head until we back on a smooth course, that way I can grab it quick if the wake gets away from me.

We started with the straightline t-handle which has been great, but I'm shopping for a knotted rope now since I'm doing swim platform starts and we are tandem surfing with my 5 year old neice. It's easier for her to grab the end of a rope than to try to find room on a small t-handle.

The feeling of surfing is just amazing. Just like you, I didn't want to drop a bunch of money on a board and not like it. However, I can say you will really like it. We took one of our friends two years ago now and his surfing pic is still his profile pic on FB.

I found a new Broadcast on eBay that was damaged in shipping, but now I'm looking for a more advanced board. The trusty Broadcast will be our boat board.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

When you are ready to thro the rope-just toss it over to the other side of the wake-then have someone in the boat pull it in, for some reason tossing it back into the boat will cause most people surfing to loose the push of the wave. When ya get better then toss into the boat.

2nd on the small tee handle rope. Dont try shortning a regular handle rope up-very easy to have a arm fall in it and drag you. Ive never tried the surf rope that is the really fat and knotted style, so no comment on that style.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Here is a couple of threads that talk about surfing the smae model obv and so good wave pics. We use the short surf handle, which i think is simple.

I uusally put abot 650 lbs in the rear locker, 1 400lb full, the second one little over half full. about 10.5 mph works for us. i have the broadcast great board for getting up and riding, with your weight the smaller board will do just fine. get the 4 1/2 footer. I think Brainrinse has a cwb ride for sale, great learning board as well.

i should have gotten the 750 and just fill it as much as possible. in the procees to getting GIII fron GI

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....highlight=surf

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....highlight=surf

Search youtube for leearning how to surf
    Last edited by jmvotto; 06-08-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

As far as a surf rope goes, we have the one with both the knots and the T-handle on the same rope to please both camps. Seems to work well.
    2007 Mobius LS

Thanks for all the help Moomba peeps!!!!!!! Now I need to look for online deals

I just bought an LF board and a new rope (handle and knots, go figure) from evogear.com.

Figure out what you want and check ebay, bing cashback (where I bought my stuff from evo) and google.com/products to find the lowest prices including tax and shipping.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV