Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to replace the packing on my '06 Supra Launch 21V. I have done it before and do not remember having any trouble getting the new packing back in. This time I can not get even one cord back in. I am having the same problem as Sandm in his original post. I feel like I ordered the wrong size, but it is 3/16 which I believe is the correct size. I am using the same technique and using a cute piece of PVC to wrap around the shaft to help slide the cord up in the nut, but I am getting nowhere. Any other advice would appreciated.
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

man. wish I could remember the end process. that was 12 birthdays and a LOT of beer ago. I do remember it being a biotch and lots of 4 letter words. I almost gave up and took to dealer but it eventually worked out. didn't leak a drop once done which was likely not the right answer but 2 more years of fun on the lake with nary an issue says it was ok.

I told myself if it needed done again I would pay for a dripless unit/install and stop packing but it was easier to sell the boat and get a new one with that installed
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by scotthons View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to replace the packing on my '06 Supra Launch 21V. I have done it before and do not remember having any trouble getting the new packing back in. This time I can not get even one cord back in. I am having the same problem as Sandm in his original post. I feel like I ordered the wrong size, but it is 3/16 which I believe is the correct size. I am using the same technique and using a cute piece of PVC to wrap around the shaft to help slide the cord up in the nut, but I am getting nowhere. Any other advice would appreciated.
    Shouldnt be that tight to get it in. Do you still have an old piece you pulled out to measure the set thickness?
    2021 Makai

Quote Originally Posted by RUGER761 View Post
    Shouldnt be that tight to get it in. Do you still have an old piece you pulled out to measure the set thickness?
    Unfortunately, I tossed all the old pieces. I confirmed with Bakes and Skidim that I purchased the correct size. I was able to get 2 pieces back in, but it was a major pain. Much harder than I remember the 1st time doing it. I will go for a 3rd next time I try. Even just 2 pieces it seems to be working fine.
    2006 Supra Launch 21V