Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My Tower Speaker Install...

In an effort to not highjack the other thread, I figured I'd start this one.

I recently bought a pair of Krypt Tower 8" HLCD speakers, and the generic BoardersMall 8" cans. I'm not done installing them yet, but I'm getting there.

First, I had to cut the cans hole slightly larger to accomodate the Krypt speakers. I used a Saber saw with a metal blade (22tpi) and lots of blue tape to protect the cans;

To mount the speakers I drilled and tapped the top horizontal crossbar to 3/8" and bolted the cans directly to the tower with Grade 8 bolts. I put a star washer between the can and teh tower, and used flat and lock washers on the the bolts. So far they seem really stable, which was a concern.

Here are a few pics of them mounted;

Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Outback V

I ran the speaker wire from the cans to the front vertical tubes, and out the bottom of each leg. The passenger side was really easy, but the drivers side, where the factory anchor light wires run, was much harder and took like 2 hours.

All the wires are covered with TechFlex loom, as apposed to split-loom tubing;

To get the wires into the boat I decided to drill through the tower base plate (inspired by badasshybrid) to keep it clean. Again, I used TechFlex braided loom to cover the wires;

I don't have a picture of the back with both speakers mounted, but I do have this picture, with the speakers and mirror nicely protected with their new SpeakerSox! I wanted to get them embroidered with the Moomba text, like on my swim platform (but only once, not 15 times) but unfrotunately SC only authorized SpeakerSox to use the swoopy logo, so I might see if I can have it done locally, or just leave them as is.

Sorry the pictures suck, I used my iPhone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ian ashton; 06-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    2013 Outback V

thats nice.......can't wait to see the final product!
    woodrow

07 LSV

Looks good! Those speaker sox are mandatory here too.

Why did you mount to the side crossbar rather than the overhead bars?

I don't like the way they look mounted on the overhead bars, I just wanted to be different. I was inspired by the Malibu Illusion towers.
    2013 Outback V

Great install. How do they sound and what are you powering them with?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

They don't sound yet, I haven't installed the amp, haha. I have a Kicker ZX350.4 that I am going to bridge to 2 channels for 175 watts / speaker, nothing too insane. Trying to keep things cheap.
    2013 Outback V

Looks good and thanks for posting the pics. Doesn't look like you have plugs in the speaker cans yet for the speaker connections?? I like it so far. I have the OEM bimini and think it would interfere with the speakers mounted that way? But really creative.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Looks great. I like it when somebody takes the initiative to make it the way they want it and the conventional way be damned. (You saw my bimini on the old O/B, right?)

It's your boat so you make it how you want it. (As long as it's OK with Dad).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    I don't like the way they look mounted on the overhead bars, I just wanted to be different. I was inspired by the Malibu Illusion towers.
    It looks really good! Nice job.