Default new trailer carpet or bunk carpet

has anyone ever replaced this? mine are pealing, fraying, and coming un done at that bottoms....

my questions are where did you order the new carpet?

are they fairly easy to replace?

considering im gonna be doing it at the lake when my boats in the water i want to be able to do it without running into any problems?

what are some of the tools etc things i might need?

and any advice would be great

thanks gang....
    ~Prove it~
    2008 Moomba Outback V
    Upgrades SO FAR more to come for the summer!!!!
    new decals, tinted winshield, new trailer tires.....

I just replace the bunks on my lift. I have used indoor/outdoor carpet from the local (Home Depot/Lowes) store. This time I purchased bunk carpet from Academy Sports (or West Marine), which is cut to fit. You will need to remove the old and pull out the staples. Then, you will stretch out the new carpet and staple it onto your bunks. Replace the wood as needed. Make sure that you use Monel or Stainless staple. The whole process took about an hour.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

how much should i expect for the cost of the carpet?
    ~Prove it~
    2008 Moomba Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by outbackv View Post
    how much should i expect for the cost of the carpet?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...t&merchID=4005

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...t&merchID=4005

This is a ballpark.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I just use the indoor/outdoor from HD too. You need a utility knife with a new blade and a good staple gun plus the monel or stainless staples as suggested by Maxpower. If you do replace the bunks, use the treated lumber. Also consider moving away from the short lag bolts to a bolt through system. (You can use stove bolt heads and sink the heads into the wood. That's what I'm going to do on my next change.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I just replaced the carpet a few weeks ago the hardest thing is getting the old off and watching all the people on the water
    "You spend most of your life, looking for the adult that you are... then you spend the rest of your life looking for the child that you were."
    98 boomerang sold
    04 outback lsv

I did mine last year and purchased direct from Boatmate Trailers. http://www.boatmateparts.com/
    -McMoomba

2008 Outback V

thanks guys for all the info ill be order the carpet soon and will keep you posted on it those sites you posted are very helpful thanks again everyone!
    ~Prove it~
    2008 Moomba Outback V

I replaced the carpet on one of mine last summer. I used indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot, ss staples, and original lag bolts. All has worked well thus far.

HOWEVER, after toiling with removing staples, dealing with wet, dirty carpet for a while, and thinking about everyone else in MY boat having fun while I worked, I promised myself that next time I would just replace the entire bunk; board, carpet, and lag bolts. Sure, it's a little more money, but well worth it.

So, here's my $0.02 based upon my exerience. Purchase new boards (treated of course), new bolts (either through and through and countersink or lag bolts, I prefer the lag bolts due to ease of removal next time and less apt to ever have a chance to hurt the boat), new carpet (either pre-cut or by the bulk at home improvement store), glue, stainless steel staples, and fresh blades for your knife.

Cut the boards to the desired length. I like the angles that BoatMate put on the ends of the bunks, that makes sense, I'll try to match that when I replace mine. Predrill your mounting holes and put the bolts in place if you're planning on through and through bolts.
    You could trim the carpet to fit at this point, but i prefer to leave it a bit long and trim after stapled in place. This allows you something to grab onto to pull the carpet tight as you're stapling it. If cut to exact width, you have some difficulty pulling it tight.
    Put a very light layer of glue onto what's going to be the top of the board. This is not absolutely necessary, but IMO, it provides for less chance for the carpet to be pulled and ripped. Staple the carpet with as many staples as your's currently has; yeah, I know that's a lot of staples.
    Cut out where your bolts are to be.
    Go to lake, put boat in water, change out your trailer bunks.

Doing it this way, you'll save a lot of time and more likely have a better finished product.
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.