Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat weight center

I would like to ensure my 2010 Outback sits centered (bow to stern) on my boat lift, and am trying to find the weight center (called the "moment" if my memory serves me) of the boat. Does anyone know where this information is located, or how to determine that?

That would be hard to determine since you have dynamic variables at play. The amount of fuel in your gas tank changes as well as location of equipment which in turn constantly changes the location of "G" which is the center of gravity. Consider "G" as the point at which all downward forces (i.e. the weight of the boat) are focused. Therefore, to know exactly where it is at all times requires a calculation of all points of weight about a known point of reference for a completely empty boat (which I'm sure the manufacturer possesses, somewhere). In most simple terms the calculation would be weight x distance = moment / total displacement. But then this calculation is for a boat floating in water. Now, if your lift is floating in water, you will have to find the center of gravity of that and it's weight and add that to the calculation of the boat and weight of equipment and fuel. And that is all without calculating and knowing the free surface correction for your fuel tank and your bilge if you have any liquid in that and the estimated specific gravity of the fuel.

In a nut shell, not an easy answer and it may not even serve your purposes practically. The way I understand boat lifts is the best solution is to mimmic as closely the support of the manufacturers supplied trailer. Sorry for the long explanation. I'm a professional mariner and I love these inquiries!
    Ryan & Gemma
    2008 Moomba XLV Gravity Games Edition

jnomdi - I keep my 2007 Outback on a Shorestation lift. The lift was installed and adjusted for my Outback by the Skiers Choice dealer local to my area. You want me to post a side view picture showing the position of the boat on the bunks? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Or look at the trailer designed for the boat and notice where the wheels are in relation to the engine. That should be a great hint.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Take a look at these two pictures for example:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Or look at the trailer designed for the boat and notice where the wheels are in relation to the engine. That should be a great hint.
    The center of gravity will be somewhere forward of the axle on a single axle trailer since there should be about 100 - 150 lbs of tongue weight the way they are set up from the factory.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

CG- Center of Gravity
    Moment Arm- figured by the amount of weight and it's distance from the CG.

Of course these are from aircraft terms, used to determine that the weight and where it is located will allow the aircraft to fly properly.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Figuring the CG is just forward of the axle makes sense. Thanks for everyone's help. New boat should arrive next week.

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    The center of gravity will be somewhere forward of the axle on a single axle trailer since there should be about 100 - 150 lbs of tongue weight the way they are set up from the factory.
    Always one stickler in the bunch.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    mine has a hell of a lot more tongue weight then that!
    just for the heck of it i tried to lift it by myself and nothing and my dad and i barely got it off the ground
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664