Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marine rated amp or not (Phil.. ZX or ZXM?)

Looking at getting the Kicker ZX700.5 or ZXM700.5 to power a sub and cabin speakers... The "M" is Kickers marine rated version...

Question: should I get the marine rated version? Does it matter since it will be in a "dry" location?... I never run in salt water. Obviously, if I can get either amp for the same price, I would go with the marine rated amp... But it is looking like the non-marine rated amp is going to have a cheaper pricepoint online... FYI My other amp powering the towers is a wetsounds syn2, marine rated...

Thoughts, experiences? Anyone? Phil?

Moomba puts zx amps in the boat with the upgrade. I have a marine jl and a zx amp as well. go with what you are comfortable with, its your call. if it gets swamped with water marine grade probably won't save it
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

We have historically had boat builders who jumped through the hoops to modify their wiring harnesses so that they could use the ZX amps and still be ABYC/NMMA compliant and certifiable. This year, with the redesigned ZXM amps that replaced the old MX amps, the mariine amp pricing is down considerably, and most builders who need the 5-channel amp are using the marine ZXM700.5. We still have builders, Moomba included using ZX and our new DX amps, and that is fine, assuming you take pains to keep moisture away from the amps. I am real pleased with how the system sets up and performs with the stereo's being put in the new Moomba boats today. The location and installation of the amps is pretty solid and dry for the new boats being built now.

From a comparison standpoint, The ZXM amps have conformal coated circuit boards for improved resistance to moisture. The ZX amps do not. The ZXM amps also feature stainless hardware, marine-grade fuses and power terminals that are complaint wht the ABYC's E-11.14.14.5 spec with regards to power termination for marine electrical systems. Outside of that, the circuit and the power are the same between a ZX700.5 and a ZXM700.5.

I would rather see you spend the little bit of extra money for the features that are in the ZXM. It provides a little added insurance against the effects of water. Still, if you mount either amp high and dry like a stock install and have an issue with water on the amp, my bet is that you are not worrying about the stereo, but rather worrying about what you hit, where you put the drain plug, and/or were are the life jackets...

Let us know!

Phil
    Kicker

I am currently running the ZX700.5 for going on 3 seasons without any issue. Very informative post Phil, its cool having manufacturer support on the forum!
    2013 Outback V

Phil - can you recommend an amp? My LSV came with a Kenwood KAC-8402 4/3/2. I'm pretty sure it powered the tower speakers and sub. It's toast. What would be a good replacement?
    2006 LSV

Mmandley is right.

Tell us what you need to run or what to run, and we will be better served to help you.

Phil
    Kicker

Whatever comes with a 2006 LSV, everything is factory.. Kenwood deck, 6 speakers in the boat, 2 bow, 4 cabin. 2 tower speakers and a 10" sub. I think everything is kenwood. I believe the cabin and bow speakers run directly from the deck, the tower speakers and the sub ran off the 4 channel amp. I think this because the cabin/bow speakers still work after i removed the amp. The amp stopped working at the end of last year. power light would flash on and off, that's about all it did. It looks a bit rusty as well. Worth repairing or just get a new one?

The set up has never been the greatest but worked well for my needs. I always thought the boat lacked any real bass. Now that I need to replace the amp i'd be happy to improve the set up at the same time. I don't need to be the loudest guy on the lake but appreciate a decent set up. I can get the part numbers for what is in the boat on the weekend if that would help.

Either way I really appreciate the advice.
    2006 LSV

Phil, Thanks for the detailed explanation... Says volumes about kickers dedication to customer service!

After looking at te prices on the zx and zxm on kickers authorized online retailers, there Is a $200 price difference between both... Might have to just go with the zx
    2007 Mobius LSV

That does not seem right asdman.

You might be looking at a difference between refurb price and new. Some of our on-line authorized guys sell both. Double check; there is not that much differnce when comparing the two, when both are brand new.

Phil
    Kicker

So immediately after I posted I'm now having an issue with my ZX (non-Marine) amp.

My sub channel is working fine, but the 4 other channels are getting no output. Amp protect light is not on, everything looks fine, nothing in the system has changed. Any ideas?
    2013 Outback V