Thread: 2 batteries

Default 2 batteries

It seems like a lot of people are running two batteries. One for the stereo and one for starting the boat. I have bought a new starting battery and plan on using the current battery for the radio.

Question 1: Do you wire them in parallel or series? Seems to me it would be in parrallel to get more amp hours out but not for sure.

Question 2: I also bought one of the switches that allows you to use battery 1 or battery 2 or both batteries. It seems like a good idea but there is really no good place to mount it for easy access. Do I need this? If I do have this and lets say I have the starting battery at position 1 and the radio battery on position 2. I want to start the boat so I have the switch on position 1. Does that mean I can't have the radio on? Or does that just mean the radio battery wont get charged? And vise versa. If I have the switch on position 2 I won't be able to start the boat or the starting battery just won't get charged? I can leave the switch in the position where both are being accessed and everything works but then what is that really doing for me? I assume both batteries would get drained if I am listening to the radio but then they would both get charged too. But that is no different than if I just wired them up in Parallel.

Any suggestions?

Clutch -

You'll probably get a lot of fancy opinions on this subject but I'll give you a few direct simple answers.

Battery 1 = starting battery
    Battery 2 = stereo battery
    Battery 3 (if applicable) = Combined with stereo battery bank

Wire all batteries to the perko switch (or alike) you bought. They have very simple instructions for wiring.

the strategy is to keep the battery 2 + 3 separate from battery 1 because you dont want to run them all down and not be able to start. Suggest you look at group 27 batteries for all of this. As to which brand.. I wont even go there because there are so many opinions. You'd all probably laugh if I told you my preference.

Most people get confused by all the battery systems. It's not that hard. It can just get a bit intimidating. PM me if you need more help. It's all good!

- Brian
    Exile Audio

PS: sorry I have not been around much these last few weeks. It's been crazy busy at Exile... whoa!

Good for you, Brian.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!