Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Life vests for little ones

Since it is now summer times and people are getting out on the water I wanted to express how important it is for kids to be waring there life vests not only on the boat but on the docks. Remember that most docks have flotation on the sides and nothing in the center. A kid can fall into the water and get stuck under the dock.

One thing the Coast Guard Auxiliary is doing is when we see kids on the dock or on boats with life vests we have a coupon for a free DQ ice cream cone. At least in Oregon we are doing this and i think across the US. This cannot be I see the Coast Guard and i will put on my life vest really quick so i can get free ice cream it is I have had it on. Also It only works for kids under 16 or else I would have taken a packet of them home with me. It is our way of showing the kids it pays to have a life vest on.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I make 'em put 'em on when they get out of the truck till they get back in the truck.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

great point guys- I think people also underestimate how quickly a child can slip away even in shallow water-especially if the water is murky or if there's wind/current. Locally there was 3 yr old child who fell down in waist deep (to an adult) water while playing amongst a group of adults in a campground pond. It was directly witnessed by the adults in the group but they simply couldn't find him because of the turbidity.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

good reminder. My wife is super strict on this, as am I if they aren't good swimmers. I obey the law though, and if they are 12 or under, they must have a lifevest on at all times on my boat, even if they're excellent swimmers. Good reminder for the docks for the little ones! The docks here are all floatation docks, as the end of hte dock may be in 30-50 feet of water! If somebody drowns off a boat, they usually don't find the body, since it may be well over 100 feet deep...

Me and my wife don't have kids yet but we take out friends with their little ones. We put life jackets on them as soon as they get to the boat. Hadn't thought about the dock. Thanks for the eye opener.
    2006 Mobius LSV

We had the niece and nephew and didn't even think about it. Paid the ticket before we even got out of the no wake zone. So now they always have them on. I am an amazing babysitter. hehe
    '07 Moomba Outback V.

Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    Me and my wife don't have kids yet but we take out friends with their little ones. We put life jackets on them as soon as they get to the boat. Hadn't thought about the dock. Thanks for the eye opener.
    +1... on the dock never even crossed my mind... kids have them on the second they hit the boat though.

thanks for the valuable tip Jester

Ohio law is <10yrs old, my boat law is 12 years old and younger. When the tie-downs are coming off the boat, vests are going on the kids. My kids are great swimmers but not a chance.

Got the kids Helium vests, Argyle for my 10yr son, Neopolitan women's small. FYI, they run small so they are tight on my skinny kids. Get a size bigger than usual. Wife has Vixen doesn't float well so only surfing.

FYI, it's also illegal to leave kids in the truck when launching (so i'm told). Won't be able to get out of the carseat should something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sailing217 View Post
    FYI, it's also illegal to leave kids in the truck when launching (so i'm told). Won't be able to get out of the carseat should something happen.
    I have never heard that before but it does make sense. I will have to look into that one. I put them all in the boat when we remove the tie-downs but I'd like to know.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I try to make sure my daughter is not buckled and try to have her window down just in case the truck rolls back underwater
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart