Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default great weekend sandwiched by Hoist Breaking!

coming in Saturday, one of the bunks broke off the mount when coming back in from a great early am ride.. disruption of plans to go visit a friend on a different lake who just got a 24SSV.. got there 4 hrs late after buying a new 2x6, re-carpeting, and painfully reinstalling.. great.. right..

coming back in late this aft put the boat back on the lift. Cleaned up the inside a bit, and started putting the cover on... and CRACK BAM BOOM.
    Boat fell back in water.. SWEET.. broken lift. the cradle broke.. Aluminum tubing.. broke in half.. AWESOME. just bought a month ago used. now I am thinking it was not the weight limit it was said to be! now I'm out my purchase of that lift..either repair or buy another...

ANYONE have any suggestions on repair? I don't want to spend any money on it if it is under my needed weight limit.. so I have to check on that first.

WOW SO FRUSTRATING.. we had great weather.
    Rode over to a friend fri night, had an early am ride sat am, rode again yesterday....and got the wife up on a board again today! ALL GREAT, excpet the blasted lift! UGH
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

That sucks man!
    2013 Outback V

Beef up the existing lift such as using steel instead of aluminum in critical areas and do a load test such as your boat and then add some weight.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Wow what was the size of the tubing.....i have 3" galvanized I beams for my cradle.......I know i'm close to the max for them but moved my bunks further apart with 2X8 rather than 2x6
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Brad,

Thats is not fun, when we talked sat it was just the bunk, if the cradle snapped then i believe that to be faulty, usually the weight is adjusted in the strenght of the cables. I was told on mine if i ever got a heavier boat over the 4,000 limit i would have to recable it.

we got out late sunday great time and was able to surf a little with the little on in the boat.

Thanks to Mike(mandley) most of my neighbors on the lake may hateus and the stereo sounds great
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I have a Hewitt cantilever style lift. I don't know what makes the lift different from others in the amount of weight that it can hold. Check to see if you can order a couple of different beams to make the lift hold more. My lift is 4"x4" aluminum beams and I don't know if those are any different than on a lift that has more capacity. Hard to believe that they would change everything.
    Good luck. I had the cable break on me last year and hearing the boat "crash" into the water was not a good feeling. Fortunately, the cantilever just falls down on an angle.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

the side beam that broke is 3" wide x 2" deep.. NO WAY this is a 4000 lb lift!

I am pretty sure i am going to buy a new one that I KNOW is plenty strong enough, then look into fixing this one. I am a bit frustrated!
    Guys I bought from build permanent docks and took it in on trade. they said the guy that traded it in said it was 4500 lb lift. NO WAY. something was amiss in the cantilever set up. I can tell that now.. plus I realize what happened sat am with the bunk was the beginning of this!

UGH.. 400 lbs of scrap aluminum.. might bring me $100
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

brad, you should be able to have it welded then sell it for what it was made for a 16 ft larson or a bass boat...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Really sorry to hear this Brad.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    the side beam that broke is 3" wide x 2" deep.. NO WAY this is a 4000 lb lift!

UGH.. 400 lbs of scrap aluminum.. might bring me $100
    Yeah, my lift is a 3800 lb with 4x4" beams and I think that I am pushing the limits of it's construction with my Outback with fluids and gear.

Maybe you should look at getting your repaired and selling it as a 2000 lb lift.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier