Post Moomba Mobius 2000 steering linkage

finally have the engine going sounds great....now that it works I have discovered a new issue....

when I am at higher speeds my mobius 2k will NOT steer to the left. When I throttle down and there is little resistance I can turn to the left...I know it is a mechanical linkage...but I do not know how or what to do to adjust/fix/replace it.... any ideas, resources, schemtacis....how to info is GREATLY appreciated.

FYI - When i have the boat on the trailer I can turn the steering wheel at least 1.5 complete turns before feeling resistance of someone holding the rudder when trying to turn it to the left.

I can turn right very well at any speed.
    Last edited by asil210; 05-31-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Smile resource

does ANYONE know a resource where I can learn about adjusting the rudder/steering etc. I am dead in the water so -to-speak.

There aren't really any adjustments. There are very few moving parts in the steering system. You have the steering wheel itself that is connect to a rack and pinion type of cable. I would remove the four bolts on the rack and get someone to move the rudder back and forth and check the teeth on the cable. Check the teeth on the steering wheel as well. Bolt that back together and head to the transom. The cable attaches to a large silver tube and is connected with a large nut that is around 1" in diameter. Make sure that this nut is tight against the tube. The tube is connected to a square block that has four bolts and rides on a ball that is permanently attached to the boat. Make sure that the block is still attached to the ball mount and the ball mount is in tact. Finally there is a small C shaped end piece on the cable that attaches to the rudder with a single bolt. Make sure it is tight. That is about all of the parts that are on the steering system. I am trying to remember all of this from my memory and may have been off on a few things. So anyone feel free to correct me. Good luck!!! I have an 02 Mobuis LSV and can take pictures for you this weekend when I get to the boat, just let me know.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Smile Steering

Pics would be WONDERFUL if you are able to do that, thanks for your time and effort.

Gonna have to run searches on "steering cable" and see what you get. There are explanations on how to replace for every model as well as one thread on how to try to lube the cable and buy some time. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Smile steering

I finally figured out i needed a new clamp block kit! the ball joint was so wallowed out, I could hold it together and insert/pull out the ball...bought a new one @$90...my boat now turns left!

I have this exact same problem on a 1999 Moomba Outback. Where is the clamp block kit located? This is my first boat and am learning as I go. Mechanically I can take apart just about anything and put it back together. Just don't know where it is located at. Never messed with steering linkage. Also where did you get the kit at? Online? If so where?

Default clamp block kit

I pruchased it from Skidim.com online. there is a 4+ inch and a 2+ inch so you will need to know which one you need. remove the floor panal in the trunk of he boat, not just the circular access panal, but the rectangular panal in the trunk. My 2K Mobus has 3 floor panals one in fronnt of the engine, one behind the engine, and one in the trunk.

go to http://www.skidim.com and enter item 2404 and change the "description" option to item number and you will see the one required in my boat, the 2 1/4 inch kit.

it is VERY easy to install....i put a bit of white grease in each half of the socket before i installed it....then i added white grease to the steering rod and worked it in turning the steering wheel completely left-right mnay times.

hope this helps you.
    Lisa
    Last edited by asil210; 06-24-2010 at 01:55 AM.