Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default High Pitch Noise in Speakers.

Well have a near perfect stereo system, came to an end this weekend. First trip in the water and everything was great. Second crank on the engine and she fired right up. Now for the stereo system. While we were getting the boat ready on the ramp, I wanted to test the system. Sounded awesome. exactly how i remembered it from last year. Now the problem. I went to start the boat, and a high pitch noise came from the speakers. I haven't even started the engine yet. I just turned the key to "ON" and heard this high pitch noise. Now with the engine running, I do not get alternator noise. It is a constant High Pitch sound. I can not figure it out. What do I need to check. I tor everything apart and checked my wiring. Everything looks good and solid. Not sure what I did over the winter months besides not touch anything. Can anyone suggest anything. I am willing to try it all.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

perhaps a bad ground on one of the amps if your batteries were disconnected all winter??
    didn't get a clean connection when hooked back up?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Gremlins..... they seemed to break my bilge pump outlet as well.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Little green boat gremlins that attack and corrode and loosen stuff . . .
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

or mice......

I've got the same noise with the basic setup. I just ground the stereo case directly to the groud batterie... It works.
    2008 Outback V black

Seriously, check the RCA cables to make sure they are seated properly and are clean without corrision. If you have a RCA connection that is only partially olugged in, or if you have corrosion, the RCA cable will end up acting more like an antenna, and it will pick up EVERYTHING that is emitting RF energy. The squeal when you turn the key on is likely the engine's computer, so I would check the suspect RCA cables first.

Phil
    Kicker

I had a similiar problem with my JL setup when I first got it. First day out with it a high pitched whine coming from the speaks with the boat running. It seemed to me to be linked to the fuel pump bc it would do it when the key is engaged before startup. Took it back to the shop and they put in some kind of filter(maybe power lead filter? not sure) and took care of everything. No problems since. Good luck.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    Seriously, check the RCA cables to make sure they are seated properly and are clean without corrision. If you have a RCA connection that is only partially olugged in, or if you have corrosion, the RCA cable will end up acting more like an antenna, and it will pick up EVERYTHING that is emitting RF energy. The squeal when you turn the key on is likely the engine's computer, so I would check the suspect RCA cables first.

Phil
    Kicker
    I will check that. Never even though about the corrosion. Figured that part of the boat never gets wet. I have three set I need to check. I did check the ones at my kicker amps. They looked fine. I need to check at the HU. By the way Phil, my Kicker amps kick arse. I have them wired to Polk DB651 and a Boston acoustic sub. Love the way my boat sounds. As a matter of fact, everyone around me loves the sound. When I mean everyone, I mean everyone in the vicinity of the boat. Never had a problem before this. Now if the RCA show signs of rust, what should I do? Get new cables, get a new amp?
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Vibration can get to all things eventually in a boat.

Sometimes you have to evenly compress (as to maintain the original round shape) the RCA shield fitting on your cable so it seats snugly again. If the cable is strain releived the fix should be permanent without the need for a cable replacement. Or it could be a bad solder joint within the cable's termination.

And sometimes its a weak audio system ground, whether source unit to factory harness or amplifiers to battery. Isolate the noise amplifier by amplifier and speaker by speaker. If its not in all speakers then its a clue that its in your audio system componentry or wiring rather than the boat.

Occasionally its the boat. Supras and Moombas have a history of noise caused by engine management electronics. On one boat but not another. No noise one day and suddenly noise the next. If a vibration-induced ground disconnect (butt splice) occurs within a harness you'll never uncover its exact location even though you might be able to identify the problem. In this case you just re-ground the culprit and close the loop.

And rarely it requires a very, very large capacitor on the engine management module which is in the engine compartment. You can quickly borrow and swap the module with your dealer in case the module has gone bad.

That's the short list of most common issues.

David
    Earmark Marine