Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Greetings. New to this forum. Just lake tested a new 09 LSV this morning. I'm selling my 06 Stingray 230 lx to "move up" to the Moomba. I'm adding about $20K to my cost structure by buying the LSV, but getting SO MUCH more use and entertainment out of it. With four kids and a demanding job, we don't go on vacation much if at all. But since all my kids (me included) like to wake board, ski and surf we can take a dozens of mini-vacations to the lake every summer. When I think of it in those terms, the money issue doesn't bother me much. Plus the mental health I gain from a day on the water keeps my psychiatric bills down.

Tom
    TM - Glad to have you on the Moomba Forum. Hope you can soon sell the Stingray and close on the LSV. We like pictures. Might even be interesting to see the Stingray. Guys here on the forum come from wide spectrum of boats, backgrounds, and points of view. Make your's known, and welcome to Moomba. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Sled491 Guest

You know, I bought our moomba after 10 yrs with our Nitro. We weren't those that say "Oh just had a kid need to sell boat", we were the ones that couldn't wait to share our passion with our kids.

Today my 8 yr old told me he wanted to ski. You think no big deal but the fact of the matter is he has never shown any interest. Keeping in mind his older brother was deep water starting a slalom ski by this time. Now my 8 yr old has been surfing since last season so he's on the water. Well today on his second try he's skiing, all I can say is Wow.

Now watch my 10 yr old and you just shake your head. No he's not going vert, but show me another 10 yr old that skiis slalon in the morning (deep waterstart), surfs both side of the boat, wakeboards, and has just asked to start footin'. OK OK I'll stop braggin about my kids, bottom line is how can I or could I ever put a price on that

Sorry, I really don't think it is that expensive. I bought my first boat while I was in college (I was older than most). It was a used boat for about $8000. I already owned a vehicle that could tow. ebay, garage sales, and friend's equipment were how I got through my first 5 years of boating/towing. I was able to pay off the boat, then sell it to "invest" into another boat. I've done that a few times. Fast forward 12 years (and 4 boats) later, and I was able to buy a new boat with little out of pocket expenses.

Getting into the sport doesn't mean a new diesel tow truck, a new XLV, and all of the lastest ski, boards, ropes and vests. It took me several years and I still haven't bought the "latest and greatest" ski, board, etc. One can start with a $5000 boat, $500 of used equipment, and a $5000 tow vehicle. It all works about the same.

BTW, compare your costs with other who have hobbies. Golf? Paintball? Dirtbikes? You have to pay to play.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Default Fortunate

My little piece:
    I didn't grow up with a lot of money and I had to work for everything I own. I was fortunate enough to have a cousin that owned boats and in 1987 he bought and inboard Ski Centurion. I fell in love with watersports from then on. I had 2 dreams that I wanted to own in life other than my own house of course. 1 of those was a competition level ski boat. 10 years ago I bought my first boat, but because I couldn't afford a higher end boat such as Moomba or MC, it was a Mariah Diablo runabout with a 4.3L V-6. (I was in Army Special Operations for 12 years, not real big pay) After 10 years of being drug, and I mean drug a lot for a deep water start behind my first boat, I was finally able to buy my first comp level boat at age 39 and recognize one of my dreams. The difference is absolutely incredible. Was the boat costly, yes of course. Is it costly to own this type of boat with all of the toys that go along with it, again, of course. I work in South America in drug eradication and gone from home for 2 weeks out of the month. When I talk to my 7 yo little girl on the phone and she asks me when I get home can we go and practice skiing and wakesurfing, that is priceless. It's worth every penny in the world to spend time with her and my wife on the water and to see her enthusiam for watersports the way I fell in love with them. And, I feel proud that I can provide her with the boat and toys to live the same dream that I had at an early age.
    To all the boat lover's out there with bowriders that share the love. I'm proud to be on the water with them.
    '09 OBV

People always ask "should I save up for a nice tourney boat like yours or buy this fixer-upper". I always reply "just get on the water and have a good time". Don't stretch to have the best, it's about being on the water having fun.

I gave up my individual sports like Golf so we could do a family sport. Everything is expensive so spending it as a family makes it worth that much more.

Paid for the boat with hard cash so I don't get that ill feeling when it's snowing outside about $$.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon03 View Post
    My little piece:
    I didn't grow up with a lot of money and I had to work for everything I own. I was fortunate enough to have a cousin that owned boats and in 1987 he bought and inboard Ski Centurion. I fell in love with watersports from then on. I had 2 dreams that I wanted to own in life other than my own house of course. 1 of those was a competition level ski boat. 10 years ago I bought my first boat, but because I couldn't afford a higher end boat such as Moomba or MC, it was a Mariah Diablo runabout with a 4.3L V-6. (I was in Army Special Operations for 12 years, not real big pay) After 10 years of being drug, and I mean drug a lot for a deep water start behind my first boat, I was finally able to buy my first comp level boat at age 39 and recognize one of my dreams. The difference is absolutely incredible. Was the boat costly, yes of course. Is it costly to own this type of boat with all of the toys that go along with it, again, of course. I work in South America in drug eradication and gone from home for 2 weeks out of the month. When I talk to my 7 yo little girl on the phone and she asks me when I get home can we go and practice skiing and wakesurfing, that is priceless. It's worth every penny in the world to spend time with her and my wife on the water and to see her enthusiam for watersports the way I fell in love with them. And, I feel proud that I can provide her with the boat and toys to live the same dream that I had at an early age.
    To all the boat lover's out there with bowriders that share the love. I'm proud to be on the water with them.
    You sound like our kind of people. You'll have to come hang out with Moombadaze, EdG and me some time. You're not too far away. Please watch for info on her about the 3rd Annual Flint River Mini-Jam. We'd love to meet you and the family.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    TM - Glad to have you on the Moomba Forum. Hope you can soon sell the Stingray and close on the LSV. We like pictures. Might even be interesting to see the Stingray. Guys here on the forum come from wide spectrum of boats, backgrounds, and points of view. Make your's known, and welcome to Moomba. - Deerfield
    Thanks for making me feel welcome. Here's a pic of my Stingray. It was my second boat. Loved it. But the rush of doing 60+ in that boat, didn't compare to the rush of riding the wake or surf board behind my buddy's Centurian. I shopped around and found the Moomba LSV to be the right boat for me. Also attached is the Moomba I'm hoping to close on this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks Kane

Kaneboats,
    Thanks for the kind words. With the summer approaching fast (my wife is a school teacher). We will have a lot more time to travel and meet new people. I would love to meet you guys too. And, you live in the home of my favorite team (I know I'll hear it from some about this), the Seminoles. My little girl loves them too.
    '09 OBV

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Thanks for making me feel welcome. Here's a pic of my Stingray. It was my second boat. Loved it. But the rush of doing 60+ in that boat, didn't compare to the rush of riding the wake or surf board behind my buddy's Centurian. I shopped around and found the Moomba LSV to be the right boat for me. Also attached is the Moomba I'm hoping to close on this week.
    Looks great. You'll love it!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spoon03 View Post
    Kaneboats,
    Thanks for the kind words. With the summer approaching fast (my wife is a school teacher). We will have a lot more time to travel and meet new people. I would love to meet you guys too. And, you live in the home of my favorite team (I know I'll hear it from some about this), the Seminoles. My little girl loves them too.
    Have to admit I'm not the biggest FSU fan but my younger brother is. He spent 7 years in school here and grew roots here. I just came for the better weather. Looking forward to boating with you.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!