Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Wakeboarding Is Expensive

We all know why we bought a Moomba: More boat for less money! Makes perfect sense. What I think we tend to forget (including myself) is that for most people, wakeboarding and waterskiing is damn expensive. In an interview with Wakeboarding Magazine, Southern California rider Randall Harris (West Coast Riders) discussed the dramatic drop off in riding in California. Nobody has the money any more. Think of the investment: Boat, tow vehicle, fuel, boards, ropes, life jackets, boat necessities such as fenders and throw floats, and for many lakes in California – launch fees. This adds up quick, and for the common rider, is outside of their budget.

My wife and I are very lucky that at age 28, we’ve both have good careers and a passion for the sport. We don’t expect to ride like the pros, or feel the pressure to spend $100,000 on a top of the line wakeboat…which for all practical purposes, does the same thing my Moomba does, but sometimes we take for granted how lucky we are to have a tournament boat from a reputable builder and are able to cruise to the lake with a full tank of gas and all of our toys in the racks. Any of you who feel like you don’t have enough, go to wakeboarder.com. Some of those guys are on shoe string budgets by trying to piece together a 90’s era Bayliner with a universal tower to get some descent wake. I applaud these guys. These guys have passion for the sport – they’ll ride anything to get their stoke and if it were me, I would do the same thing.
    Ryan & Gemma
    2008 Moomba XLV Gravity Games Edition

I won't go out unless it's for a full day. It's not worth the truck fuel, travel time (40 min each way) clean-up time, etc. I can't afford to go for an hour.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yes I would agree with the above. This sport is costly and the fuel, if you ride a lot, starts to hurt. I'm very thankful that we live in a great country this Memorial Day weekend and that we have the toys to have a great time on the water. I think a glass run early in the morning is one of the ways you can get a little closer to heaven this side of eternity.

I bought an Xstar at a great deal on a year-end close out. So even though it seems like a costly boat you can keep your costs down if you shop. If I had to pay the HUGE price tag that there asking for them it would of been way out of my price range.
    I have a bud that has a Moomba and when we have been out on his boat I have been more than satisfied, and I like his ski wake WAY beter than mine.

I understand where you are coming from. I work in law enforcement so I'm no "baller" that's for sure. However, I made some wise stockmarket investments in the fall of 2008 when the market took a bad dump when the banks folded. I had never dabbled in the stockmarket until then so I was not trying to recover losses, everything was a gain. I was able to get a 15x return in a 7 month period on one of my investments and a 6x return on another. I was able to pay off my house which of course the major bill for most of us and have a nice nest egg to play. I was also able to put 50% down on my boat and then paid it off in a few months later with another sell off on stocks. Had it not been for this, I don't think I could have afforded a new Moomba, mortgage, and 2007 Dodge diesel truck payment...plus I'm not married so no one to split the bills. If people are trying to get into a new wakeboat plus have to get a tow vehicle, that is very expensive especially since most of Moomba owners don't have the excess income like the Malibu, CC, and Mastercraft guys often do. I'm getting frugal in my age (a whole 38yrs old) so I pieced together my 3 wakeboards on ebay or Boardersbestbuy or Boardersmall for about 1/3 of retail. Wakesurf boards were bought at about 60% retail after contacting the manufacturer and asking for new, leftover year models still on hand. Gas for the boat is a major expense, however, I have 4 weekly regulars who pitch in about $10-$15 each for each day on the water. I don't ask, they offer. Plus they buy my Gatorade, water, ice, and chips. Cleaning chemicals get expensive when you see how much you go through depending on often you go out. Plus I have a very nice enclosed storage unit to keep my boat and gear safe and dry. I also applaud those individuals and couples who are just "regular" people with modest incomes who will budget a boat, fuel, and upkeep expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by rmckenney View Post
    We all know why we bought a Moomba: More boat for less money! Makes perfect sense. What I think we tend to forget (including myself) is that for most people, wakeboarding and waterskiing is damn expensive. In an interview with Wakeboarding Magazine, Southern California rider Randall Harris (West Coast Riders) discussed the dramatic drop off in riding in California. Nobody has the money any more. Think of the investment: Boat, tow vehicle, fuel, boards, ropes, life jackets, boat necessities such as fenders and throw floats, and for many lakes in California – launch fees. This adds up quick, and for the common rider, is outside of their budget.

My wife and I are very lucky that at age 28, we’ve both have good careers and a passion for the sport. We don’t expect to ride like the pros, or feel the pressure to spend $100,000 on a top of the line wakeboat…which for all practical purposes, does the same thing my Moomba does, but sometimes we take for granted how lucky we are to have a tournament boat from a reputable builder and are able to cruise to the lake with a full tank of gas and all of our toys in the racks. Any of you who feel like you don’t have enough, go to wakeboarder.com. Some of those guys are on shoe string budgets by trying to piece together a 90’s era Bayliner with a universal tower to get some descent wake. I applaud these guys. These guys have passion for the sport – they’ll ride anything to get their stoke and if it were me, I would do the same thing.
    I cry when I think about how much it costs me.

Do this. Calculate your boat payment, the gas for your boat, a rough estimate of gas for your tow vehicle when towing, new gear/boards/stereos, boat insurance and the cost of your slip/cabin/launch fees.

Then - divide that by how many HOURS you put on your boat each year. The number is STAGGERING. Last time I calculated it - it was somewhere around $110 an hour for me to be out. Granted - there are certainly a lot of hours when I'm on the lake but just floating around (not racking up boat hours). But cost per hour moving is absolutely insane.

You gotta LOVE it.

Good thing I do.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    The number is STAGGERING. Last time I calculated it - it was somewhere around $110 an hour for me to be out.
    time with family and friends--not priceless, just about $110 hour-
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Do this. Calculate your boat payment, the gas for your boat, a rough estimate of gas for your tow vehicle when towing, new gear/boards/stereos, boat insurance and the cost of your slip/cabin/launch fees.

Then - divide that by how many HOURS you put on your boat each year. The number is STAGGERING. Last time I calculated it - it was somewhere around $110 an hour for me to be out. Good thing I do.
    Sounds like a bargain to me for what you get. Compare it to golf, racecars, etc. I guess playing tennis is cheaper. So's going for a hike or a run. But not nearly as much fun.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Sounds like a bargain to me for what you get. Compare it to golf, racecars, etc. I guess playing tennis is cheaper. So's going for a hike or a run. But not nearly as much fun.
    I recently stopped road racing sportbikes and that was costing me easily $700-$800 per day and I only did it once a month. I can wakeboard/wakesurf 10 days a month for that.

This is one of the coolest threads I have read on a Fourm in a long time ,

The meaning of Moomba to me is pretty much my only chance of getting this opportunity thus far in my life, Im only 23 and have been really fortunate on the way things work out for me ... don't get me wrong I bust my a$$ for every thing I have, but I was that guy with the bayliner and the pylon (no joke ) !! lolol
    And loved every minute of it , me and a buddy just bought the 05 XLV that had been repo'd and had no stereo and was really dirty, I made on the boat as is and we got lucky to get it ! Now we have the boat in almost showroom condition and awesome stereo ! I don't even wanna think about the money spent ( truck , boat , fuel, boards.. so on and so on) but all in all I think the second I am behind the wheel or just getting ready to pull out of the water .. all that comes to mind is nothing ! And in out hellish speed in the world today the is not to much that makes your mind go blank and just puts a smile on your face,,, no thoughts of cost, time, or worries...

Moomba = simplistic bliss
    never enough ...
    ------------------------
    2005 Mobius XLV

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    time with family and friends--not priceless, just about $110 hour-
    Ok now that is funny.

One thing you are not taking into account is the time you spend with the Moomba family on the forums. Think about how many hours a day you spend reading and posting. Now think of if you are paid by the hour how much more you would be making well unless you are doing this at work
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill