Thread: Bad Impeller?

Default Bad Impeller?

Anybody know of some signs that an impeller might be bad without having to take it out and look at it? Knocking or anything like that?
    2006 Mobius XLV

High engine temp would be the primary indication. You won't hear anything as it is a piece of rubber and if it comes apart, the only noise will be you cursing your bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynes345 View Post
    High engine temp would be the primary indication. You won't hear anything as it is a piece of rubber and if it comes apart, the only noise will be you cursing your bad luck.
    YUP - High engine temp or overheating just about does it!
    Not that hard to check if you want. Just losen the bolts and take the cover off and you can check the impeller veins.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Another indication may also be your belts squeeling. This happens when an impeller blade has come off and jammed the entire assembly. This in turn will stop rotation and the belt will squeel against the stopped pully. If this happens, immediately stop the boat and don't start it until the impeller is replaced. Then you'll have to check for pieces of the impeller that may have entered the cooling system (cross your fingers that doesn't happen or it could become a big problem).
    Ryan & Gemma
    2008 Moomba XLV Gravity Games Edition

They are $30! I did mine in 25 minutes last night. yep, it was perfect, but i won't worry about it this summer!
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold