Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boat Retrieval at Boat Launch

I have been told two ways on the proper way to put your boat back onto a trailer after a day at the lake. The first way is to back the trailer into the water so that there is only about a foot of the front bunks sticking out of the water, pull boat onto trailer (with a little gas to get all the way up), hook on, and then pull the boat out of the water. Another way was to back the trailer all the way into the water so that the boat can pull up to the winch (still floating), hook on, and then pull the boat out of the water making sure it is even on the trailer. Is there a technique that is favored over another? I would imagine how steep the ramp or how deep the water would also play a factor. Just curious what everyones take is and any good suggestions on proper techique.
    2006 Moomba XLV Gravity Games

One of the greatest things about ski boats and their trailers is that they are "drive on" trailers. No getting out of the boat and floating it on.

I have a "boat buddy", which means I don't even hook the winch until the boat is done with clean up and ready to drive down the road. I place the trailer to water just at the wheel wells and drive the boat on. Once I hear the click, my wife pulls us out of the water.Takes 20-30 seconds max.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

My experience has been the drive-on method works well for those without steep ramps. My lakes are all very deep and hence the ramps are all very steep, not condusive to the drive-on method. I have to sink the trailer until the fenders are covered before driving on where my wife waits to hookup, takes us about a minute and were gone.
    2007 Mobius LSV

It really depends on the ramp and what the ramp is made out of. If the ramp is dirt and rock the more people drive on their trailers the more just behind the trailers builds up and one day someone will it it with their prop. If you have good ramps then the drive on can make sure the boat is set evenly (or more or less) on the trailer. The float you can be off to one side or another and have to put the boat back in again to make sure you care center.

This year i have been having problems loading for some reason and let off the gas too soon so i end up about 2 inches to far back so i have to crank the last few to make it the rest of the way on. Talk about causing more work for ones self.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

If conditions at the ramp make it particularly difficult, you might have to power on.

Otherwise, winch on. You'll spare the ramp and your boat's engine from dug-up silt. You'll also spare yourself the unpleasant experience of accidentally bumping the throttle at a particularly bad time.

My previous boat had some scars on the bow from the youngest and laziest marina employee powering it onto the trailer during de-winterisation. I had to politely make my feelings known.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

The ramps I use at the lake are average in steepness, I've seen some crazy short and steep ramps that I wouldn't try without a 4x4. I back my trailer until fenders are under. Ease the boat in and once it's centered and settled I just throttle up. The nice thing about having a black truck is that I can see the bow hook in the reflection of the tailgate so I know when I'm centered and how close I am.

Quote Originally Posted by jokid View Post
    I have been told two ways on the proper way to put your boat back onto a trailer after a day at the lake. The first way is to back the trailer into the water so that there is only about a foot of the front bunks sticking out of the water, pull boat onto trailer (with a little gas to get all the way up), hook on, and then pull the boat out of the water. Another way was to back the trailer all the way into the water so that the boat can pull up to the winch (still floating), hook on, and then pull the boat out of the water making sure it is even on the trailer. Is there a technique that is favored over another? I would imagine how steep the ramp or how deep the water would also play a factor. Just curious what everyones take is and any good suggestions on proper techique.
    jokid,

I employ method 1. I started out with method 2 on my first boat but found that unless the boat was exactly centered, it would often rest on the bunks crooked when I pulled out, so I would have to back it in again, let it float, then try again and hoped it dropped on to the trailer straight. So I started using method 1 - drive it on until I was about 1' - 2' from the roller, then winch it on the rest of the way. That way, it is always centered on the trailer. That is the way I have been doing it on the Moomba although it sounds like I could probably employ method 2 and be okay.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I never have centering issues at all floating on. Once hooked up i sit on the sunpad and hold the guide pole while she pulls us out and it self centers every time without fail as i know exactly how far to hold off.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I never have centering issues at all floating on. Once hooked up i sit on the sunpad and hold the guide pole while she pulls us out and it self centers every time without fail as i know exactly how far to hold off.
    Razz,

My first boat was an I/O and the trailer did not have any guide poles. When the water was perfectly calm, it usually loaded correctly. If not, it was a crap shoot. The Moomba would probably load perfectly every time but I just been doing it the other way for so long it's just automatic now.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

We just got our boat and we are still learning exactly where to put the trailer and all in the water. When we first did it we put the trailer in to where there was 2" of water on the bottom of the back guide floats. Well the boat was floating and didn't stop because it wasn't on the bunks. Next time we put the boat in where the rear guide floats were 2" above the water. Well with this we didn't make it all the way up. Ended up having to back the trailer in more. The last time we put in I put the trailer in to where the rear guide floats just touched the water. That seemed to work pretty good. We have never had the boat really go on unlevel tho. Seems like everthing is too tight for it to get on there too unlevel.
    2006 Mobius LSV