Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouch!!!!!

Default Ouch!!!!!

Unmarked rock! I was following a line of boats through a channel to get to the lake. I was moving as slow as the boat could go and then BAM! Lucky me to hit a rock. I use to think that people who hit rocks were just inattentive and careless. Boy was I wrong.

Here is the damage. Repairable? I've never had to get a prop repaired. I have no clue how bad it is. The boat seemed to run fine, slight vibration between 10-15 mph after that I didn't notice any vibration. Not any more than this OJ prop is known to have. I was thinking of sending it to OJ, have them fix the prop and get out the vibration that the 14.25 X 14 OJ prop is known to have.

Ouch is right! Sorry to see that. I've seen worse than that fixed before.
    2007 Mobius LSV

OH, I've definitely seen worse. You're not an idiot nor inattentive. Just uninformed. Happens to the best of us.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Prop issues

My wife had the same problem fortunately it was on the ramp on the way home! The prop had the same rolled tips as yours. Sent the prop back to the dealer who had a local prop guy fix it. Couldn't tell a difference in look or performance when it came back. Bottom line is I bought another prop for a spare so I wouldn't ruin a good surf day.

I did the same thing and upgraded to a 14x14 prop. WOW.. what a HUGE difference it made!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    you don't have to send it to OJ for repair.

Most dealers know of local places and can handle this for you.
    This is true but the local repair shop here hosed me and would have been cheaper to send it off to JohnsonProps and pay shipping in the end! Make sure you check all avenues first.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    place my dealer uses is in Tampa. Cost me about $250 to have the blades straightened and trued - and got the prop back in three days.
    For those in the Denver area, I have used Jim's Prop Shop a couple times when I lived there and they do great work for a reasonable price. This was on I/O props but I am guessing they work on all props.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'd stick with your Moomba dealer recommendation. I've heard of guys getting hosed on having it taking forever, or getting one quote, then a prop shop telling them it wasn't salvageable or was "worse than they thought" and giving them a different price.

My prop had a few wobbles from a low water encounter at the launch late last summer. For the repairs, I could have gone direct, but for $165 the excellent guys at Active Water Sports in Oregon City swapped on a reman they had on the shelf while I had it down there for de-winterizing, and then they will send my old prop off for repair and stick it back on the shelf when they get it back. No waiting around for the repair!

Yours doesn't look too bad - I've seen onebefore that looked like a flower...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'd say save your cash and buy a new prop for spare or preformance. Mine was bent a litlle when I bought boat (from previous owner, not me)...It CNC'd brass, not cast, so if it bends, it will bend back. Use a cresent wrench, adjust to fit a start of bend near where it still straight, and SLOWLY work it back out to normal. Feel it with your finger tips (close yours eyes and just feel the flow), you will get it close to normal and no one will ever know...that is until NEXT time...JK!!!

The cost for a typical repair we do runs from $70.00 to $150.00. Most fall between $80.00 and $100.00. The $260.00 for a repair is very high. We do all repairs in house and will not attempt a prop we feel cannot be repaired to original specs.

Both the CNC machined props and hand finished props are cast and can be repaired the same.
    Eric Johnson
    Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
    OJ PROPS 800-359-9730