Default Polk 651 or 651s??

Thanks to some advice from a few of you and another thread, going to replace my basic stereo in my 01 LS. Good to know if I replace the Kenwood tape player with a Kenwood deck I won't need a new wiring harness. Any specific model recommendations?

Also, going to buy 4 of the polk 651 speakers to replace the crappy ones that came with it. Do I need hte 651 or the 651s (slim fit)? Any help appreciated.

Do I need any special tools to take out the old speakers and install the new ones?

Readily admit I am not into big sound and just want a better basic make-up.

I'm not 100% as I don't know how much room is behind the bow speakers of the 01 LS (maybe someone can speak up) but I don't think you need the slims? The only problem place I can see is up in the bow. There is more than enough room for the rest of the cockpits.

I have an outback 07 and there was plenty of room for the regulars all the way around!

It's a great upgrade and you won't be dissappointed

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks Viking. What I needed to hear. My ls nearly perfect and the kids are not ready for a big wake yet so this will tide me over a couple more years maybe until I just have to get that 2012 lsv or xlv!!! Unless of course I find a killer deal before then.

Quote Originally Posted by volfo View Post
    Thanks Viking. What I needed to hear. My ls nearly perfect and the kids are not ready for a big wake yet so this will tide me over a couple more years maybe until I just have to get that 2012 lsv or xlv!!! Unless of course I find a killer deal before then.
    Me too............been eye'ing the LSV's and XLV's but just doesn't make sense right now with my young kids either. Give it 4 or 5 years and then I'm in for a new boat

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I have these in my 02' Outback:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5...4587501&sr=8-2

I like them a lot.

I just got done installing the last par of the 651 marine Polk's, they sound and look great. Found them on ebay for $54+ free shipping.

I put 3 pairs of polk db651 in my 07 LS last night. No problems really. I did have to dremel out a little bit of plastic to get the bow set to seat flush like the stock ones did (took like 5 minutes extra). I couldn't believe how much better these sound than the stock ones. Got these for $48/pair on ebay. Now I just need to get the rest of my Exile system put in...
    2007 Mobius LS

thanks to all the help and replies on this board. I installed 4 polk db651 speakers along with a new Kenwood KMR 330 head unit. Replaced an old factory Kenwood tape deck and the stock Kenwood speakers. Big improvement on sound with the new speakers and the aux in for hte ipod rather than the tape adapter. I am not into huge tunes but this is louder and much better. I also have not done a radio install before and would not have messed with this without hte assurances from the board that the radio would be plug and play and would work with the remote puck. It did.

This is a very easy install if you stick with kenwood. I literally had to simply unhook the wiring harness, the fm/am antenna, and the remote control cord from the back of the radio, then rehook those 3 lines up to the new radio. Old radio slid out easy once I found the bracket attached to the fiberglass above. Speaker install was way easy - but had to use the adapter plate and drill 4 new small holes into the fiberglass. I was disappointed in the sloppy way the factory stereo speakers had been installed - with way too big screws drilled into cracked fiberglass. It was evident that very little time/care was put into the installation of the original factory speakers.