Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power Wash Carpets?

I have heard that many people do this including the dealer that I bought from.

Not sure that I am too crazy about the 'pile' carpet that came in my 07. It tends to pack down in all traffic areas (just like pile carpet in a home). My friends 06 has the older short carpet that doesn't look as nice when the boat is new but then doesn't get flattened out over time.

I have absolutely babied my carpet (no shoes, crumbs, and as little water as possible) and it still looks 'tired'. Wondering if a good power wash will bring the carpet back to life.

Does anybody do this? Any tips? Vacuuming just isn't cutting it.

I power wash mine; it doesn't 'fluff' it back up, but it definately does make it look much nicer. I would buy a brand new boat if I could re-order with a finished fiberglass floor and snap-in carpet, and that would be my only change.
    2013 Outback V

I was told, but haven't tried yet, to add fabric softener to a steam cleaner and go over the carpet with it after you get it nice and clean. Supposed to bring it back to life

I haven't power washed mine, but I have taken it to the car washes that you drive into, put the quarters in the machine, and you get the "high pressure" wand that shoots straight water or soapy water. I turned that on the carpet of my '01 OB LS and it really cleaned it up. It seemed to bring a little fluff back, but it was pretty much right back down again after a use or two. Did a great job of cleaning it though.

I gave mine a good scrubbing near the end of last summer. I just used hot/warm water in a bucket mixed with a little laundry detergent, and a stiff bristled brush. Got the carpet wet, splashed the soapy water on it, scrubbed, shop vac, then air dry. Once it was dry hit it with a small dirt devil vacuum that has the spinning brush.
    This for sure got the carpet nice a clean, and seemed to bring a tiny bit of fluff back to the carpet. I hope to do it again in the coming weeks. I think it's good to do, once in a while, to make sure the stuff is clean.
    I think that this carpet just doesn't hold up like we'd all like it to. I'd love for mine to be as nice as it is in the compartments. I'm not sure if there's any way to revive it.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
    My friends 06 has the older short carpet that doesn't look as nice when the boat is new but then doesn't get flattened out over time.
    Jon,

I have an 06 and must admit, was jealous when I first saw the upgraded carpet in the 07. But I have heard the same thing from several 07+ owners about the carpet matting down so I am not so jealous anymore Plus my carpet dries fast since it's very short.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

For you guys who power wash, how do you keep the spray from making a mess of everything else inside the boat? I've got a power washer that I use on the driveway, deck, and hornet nests hanging from tree branches (that's actually a lot of fun). It sure splashes. Also have a wet/dry shop vac. So, I have the tools.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Hey, It's been a while since I have been on, glad to see everything is still rockin and rollin. I have powerwashed my carpet before and it does do a good job cleaning it up. I tried the rake afterwords and it looked great till we went to the lake and all the water and traffic smashed it back down. It was still clean though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    I just keep the nozzle close to the carpet (2-3 inches) and I haven't noticed much of an over-spray.

I work my way from the rear of the boat and move dirt and debris towards the ski locker, then from the front to the ski locker.

It's like magic how the carpet gets lighter as you spray it.

Then I just wipe down all the fiberglass surfaces inside the boat with a rag.
    Followed this and it worked fine. Carpet is clean and looks good. Used a wet vac after the power wash. Don't know what I was thinkin' gettin' worried about the spray. No real problem with the power washer after all. Thanks.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I've got to get a power washer. Until then I'll be using the handheld carpet cleaner that we have for the house for when the kids spill stuff/puke or whatever on the carpet.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float