Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Checking prop shaft for true/ strait

Can I run the engine for a short period of time just to have the engine turn the shaft?

Or is there a better way of checking for true strait.... We hit a rock and rinkled the prop pretty badly im hoping the shaft didnt bend ... what are my chances ...
    never enough ...
    ------------------------
    2005 Mobius XLV

If it is on a trailer I would use a dial indicator and a magnetic base and spin the shaft by hand. I would disconnect the battery and make sure boat is in nuetral so you do start it by spinning the shaft.

I have no prop on the shaft cause its getting repaired and attemped to spin the shaft by hand but it is very difficult to turn ... I'm not sure if its not fully in neatural ... I dont know what to do really ..
    never enough ...
    ------------------------
    2005 Mobius XLV

What I would do and what I would recommend that you do are two entirely different things...

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    What I would do and what I would recommend that you do are two entirely different things...
    hahah

well i was just gonna run the boat and throw the dial indicator on it ...

but slight fear of impeller burning up with no water being run thru it ..

other option is wait till I get the prop back on thrus night and go water test .. but I am kinda impateint ...
    never enough ...
    ------------------------
    2005 Mobius XLV

Do you have a fake-a-lake to hook up so you don't have to worry about the impeller? Without a prop on I think you've removed the biggest safety issue.

No i dont, im not even sure what one looks like or where it connects .. when we bought the boat he showed me a hose I could pull off and fill with the garden hose but I think thats just for keeping the engine cool not supply to the impeller .. ughh leason learnd .. never hit rocks again ..
    never enough ...
    ------------------------
    2005 Mobius XLV

I would not be afraid to run the engine for 5 seconds or even 10. I have with no consequences to the impeller. My experience !! If your real worried pull the hose and spray some silicone lube in the on the impeller before ya do it, but again I wouldn't bother. Now saying that i wouldn't run it for more than 10 without some lube... ya could pull your hose off the vdrive and jam your garden hose in to it then you would have no probs
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 05-19-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Default I run mine...

Just about Every time I take it out, I run it for about 5 seconds either at my house, or before I go down the ramp, just to make sure everything is going to start fine.

In reality unless you've drained all the water out of your cooling system (I.E. Winterizing) You've still got residual water to keep the blades from seizing up. And 5 seconds is not long enough to get the block warm to require cooling.

Just my 3 cents.

I would put the prop nut back on the shaft and use a wrench to slowly turn the shaft while watching the dial indicator. I would also disconnect the battery so you don't hand start the boat.