Default Front ballast in an LSV

Let's talk about ballast for a minute. I've got a 2010 LSV, and it porpoises quite a bit when loaded with 750's in back and mid locker full. To rectify, I filled 300lb bags under each seat in front (right and left, probably only filled 2/3 full.) Wake was fine, didn't porpoise until plate was close to 3/4 or more up. So that was fine.

Went to surf, and emptied starboard side rear. Surf wake was really lacking compared to what it normally is. I emptied front starboard sack and left front port sack full, along with mid locker full and port rear full. Wave was great (only had myself and wife (100lbs) driving).

My question is, for you guys that run the integrated bow sack, how does it affect surf wave? Wouldn't it be better to have separate bags in front for this reason? I'm sure it would be ok if we had people with us to sit on port side while surfing, but we go quite a bit just the two of us.

I want to plumb something in the front soon, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Once I determine what to do (IBS or split sacks) then I'll come back for instructions on how to do it
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

I have run 2 300lb sacs in the front before when surfing.. makes the pocket longer! but you have to have 750 in the corner for that to work.
    actually, I preferred the full front for surfing..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Anyone else?

The surf wave gets massive with the ibs. Weight side to side in the bow doesn't really help or hinder since the majority of the weight is in the 750 and center. Just having weight in the bow regardless of side makes a big difference. The wakeboard wake is huge too with this set-up.
    Try leaving the both of your 300# sacs in the bow full with the surf side and floor sac full. I think you will be surprised.

PWI as usual...

Newty, that's exactly how I had it and the wave was horrible. Emptied the 300 in the front driver side and it cleaned up nice. Looks like we had the same setup, yet for some reason my wave was terrible until I drained one of the front bags.

It had rained quite a bit the day before and the current was moving quite a bit more than normal in the river.....could that have been an issue? Never thought I'd have to re-learn physics to surf!

Quote Originally Posted by TL7 View Post
    Newty, that's exactly how I had it and the wave was horrible. Emptied the 300 in the front driver side and it cleaned up nice. Looks like we had the same setup, yet for some reason my wave was terrible until I drained one of the front bags.

It had rained quite a bit the day before and the current was moving quite a bit more than normal in the river.....could that have been an issue? Never thought I'd have to re-learn physics to surf!
    TL7,

The pic below is of Mike Mandley's 08 LSV with 750 in the port side rear, 400 in the ski locker, and 600-650 in the integrated bow sac. That's my son surfing and he commented that Mike's wave is longer than ours (I have the same set up minus the IBS). So I'm not sure why your wave is horrible since you have the same set up as Mike.

Al

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Weird I don't know. unless your bags go way back into the storage area.

PWI as usual...

For what it's worth, I have the same setup as Mike and the same looking wave.

I'm going to blame this one on the high water current. I'll be out again this weekend several times and hopefully it will be back to normal. First few times we surfed behind the new boat the wave was similar to Mike's.