Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Real surfboard vs WakeSurf?

Hey guys -

End of last year I picked up a real surfboard from a friend - shortboard as he called it, about 5'6" I think. You know, the kind that you go freeze your a$$ off out in the ocean with.

At any rate we've only had a couple runs behind my boat with ~400lbs ballast and a couple beer drinkers in the back. Not a big enough wake to throw the rope and free ride, at least not on this board. In the coming month or so I'm swapping out my hard tanks for bigger bags in the rear and adding a center bag in the locker. I know the extra weight will make a huge difference but I'm also wonder about the board itself.

Anybody have any personal experience riding on a real surfboard compared to a wakesurf behind the same boat? I've ridden a 4'9" CWB(?) behind my buddy's Malibu and had a good ride but the sweet spot but was kinda small for my 6'3" 200lb frame - probably too small of a board. He runs about 2500lbs and a wakeplate so it is a monster wave compared to what I'll have.

Just wondering what the experience might be on a bigger wakesurf compared to this old surfboard. I'd have to borrow/rent/demo one behind my boat before I lay down the green.

I've been low and quiet for a while after going through a DV but am finally back in the game here and luckily didn't lose the boat!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Good to have you back and glad you got to keep the Moomba! I would think that if anything, your ocean board would be easier to freeride on vs a big wakesurf board. At 5'-6", your ocean board is bigger than most big wakesurf boards and I am guessing it's also thicker and more buoyant. I've never tried to wakesurf on one but would like to try it one of these days. When don't you come down to the Oregon MiniJam and you can try my 5'-3" CWB Ride and I'll try your ocean board? See the Owner's section for details on the jam.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

That's what I was thinking too. Could be that the board needs a little fine tuning. I guess it had coldwater wax on it for going in the ocean and I haven't stripped it off or anything - just jumped on it so maybe it's due. It is very buoyant and seems stable (and yes thick!), just doesn't seem fast enough I guess. It has triple fins but the only way they're coming off is if I cut/break them.

Thanks for the invite. Funny - I was checking out the details on the Oregon MiniJam earlier this morning. Not sure yet but I may be able to pull that off; it is a 2.5+ hr ride to get there for me so I'd be rolling in late. Kind of weird/different planning this sort of thing now with just the kids and the dog and me. I'll have to see if I can find a buddy or better yet, a new girlfriend to tag along if I can make it. I wonder how late reservations can be made and how many others are already confirmed to go...

Do you have a picture of the board? Give me a side view and I can tell you if it will work for wakesurfing or not. It may be that it has too much rocker for wakesurfing.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Okay, so it turns out the board is 5'10" and about 19.75" wide.

Here are some profile shots-

and

and

The smudges and stuff are actually the surfer wax they use for grip. Like I said, I haven't cleaned it off at all!

Anyway, let me know what you think. The board actually looks a lot flatter than I remember it. Maybe that's the problem.

Here's a couple shots of the bottom...

Welcome back bro!
    Looks like its got more of a continuous rocker. Its not too bad in the back. I'll bet it will surf fine when you get your wake dialed in.
    FYI get that wax off of it or it will end up all over your boat. PM me and I can get you some good traction pad if your interested.

PWI as usual...

2nd that on getting the wax off before it gets in the boat
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

The other boat I ride with has one. Looks just like yours but his is maybe 2-4" longer. He's about 200lbs and sized for him. Us smaller guys have no problem freeriding it.

Description is it's like driving a fast tank. I ride a fast waker project James and Phase 5 Drew Carbon wakesurfers and the real ocean board is almost as fast but turns are just so mellow. The newbie guys in our boat surprisingly like it the best to freeride because it doesn't turn on a dime. I don't like it as it doesn't react to what I'm used to. Still fun for everyone. I would compare it to a very fast Broadcast Landlock, and very thick/bouyant

That looks pretty good in terms of a surf shape that would work on a wave produced behind a wakeboard boat. Kinda a fish/thruster hybrid is how I would describe that board. I have ridden a similar shape behind my boat but it just didn't feel right. I found that you had to expend a lot of energy pumping the board to stay on the wave. It may be that the fins are too large or that the rails are too thick to harness the energy created by the wave. I've yet to find an actual surfboard that works well for wakesurfing. I do have a 6'0" twin-fin fish that I'll be trying out this summer but even then I think it's still too big to properly utilize the wave created by my boat.

My suggestion is to go and demo a wakesurf board once you have your wave dialed in and compare. Right now I am riding an older 5'6 Liquid force Venture and I am 6'2 and 195lbs. It's been a good board to use while dialing in my wave but I think it may be time to move on to something new.

Good luck to you!
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V