Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default i think i have a fix(ballast tank filling at speed)

some one tell me whay this wouldnt work:were the ballast tanks get their lake water to fill,on the hull of the boat there is 1 3/4"ball valve,what if i were to remove that valve and put a 12VDC solinoid activated valve in its place wired to the switchs for the fill side of the pumps?this would allow it to be normally closed when the switches are in the off position,and when switched to the fill position the valve would be opened allowing the pumps to gain access to the lake water.....i have already priced the valves at $40 shipped,so it would be economical as well.any thoughts would be appreciated before i buy one of these and try it

I believe others have done this. Is a great option, but does have some pitfalls. An electrical valve is another point of potential failure. Could put a standard ballvalve in after the electrical valve in case of an emergency. Yet, both valves would be taking up more room, may/may not be an issue. I say give it a try and let us know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal95 View Post
    some one tell me whay this wouldnt work:were the ballast tanks get their lake water to fill,on the hull of the boat there is 1 3/4"ball valve,what if i were to remove that valve and put a 12VDC solinoid activated valve in its place wired to the switchs for the fill side of the pumps?this would allow it to be normally closed when the switches are in the off position,and when switched to the fill position the valve would be opened allowing the pumps to gain access to the lake water.....i have already priced the valves at $40 shipped,so it would be economical as well.any thoughts would be appreciated before i buy one of these and try it
    Can you post where you found those valves for $40.00. So with these you could eliminate the vented loops??
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by danimal95 View Post
    Yes, that would work if you have done away with the sprinkler valves and are running three fill pumps off the same intake. Someone on the Supra forum did that exact thing using an electric gate valve designed for RV use but it was closer to $100. You'll want a valve that does not impede water flow and one that can be shut off manually if needed. Could you post a link to the valve that you have in mind?

Also, you have to figure out how to wire it so that it will open if any of the switches are turned to "Fill" and will close only if all the switches are turned to off. Otherwise, you will have to put it on it's own switch open and close it independently of the ballast switches which is what the Supra guy did.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Here's the link to the Supra guy's install using an electric shut off valve.

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4646

Yes stretch, this would eliminate the vented loops but you would need three of them since you have three separate intakes!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

If I'm reading it right That Electronic gate looks like it fits 3" pipe. You need to buy a reducer to put it on 1.5" pipe and even then that pretty big??

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    If I'm reading it right That Electronic gate looks like it fits 3" pipe. You need to buy a reducer to put it on 1.5" pipe and even then that pretty big??
    That is correct.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

So if the main valve opens when any of the fill switches are turned on, water will flow into all bags if the boat is at speed.

If I'm reading this right, in order to fill one bag but not the others I would need to be stationary, correct? Assuming the other valves have been removed and each bag has it's own fill pump.

Thanks,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss View Post
    So if the main valve opens when any of the fill switches are turned on, water will flow into all bags if the boat is at speed.

If I'm reading this right, in order to fill one bag but not the others I would need to be stationary, correct? Assuming the other valves have been removed and each bag has it's own fill pump.

Thanks,

Aaron
    That would be true if u keep the stock intake scupper as the scoop will force water thru the pumps. But if u replace that with a mushroom type intake, the rear bags should not autofill at speed. With the front bag, as long as u loop the fill hose up high enough, it should not autofill. I am gong to test that theory out this weekend.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I just want to know where danimal95 found these for $40 and are they normal 3/4" or 1" sizes??
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD