Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jbheuerman View Post
    I can totally relate to your problem. I am 29 and have a job that is ok, but not what I love. My wife and I also own our own business, which I would love to do full time, but money permitting, it is just not possible to give up my current job right now. My solution, work the second job as much as possible. Having kids will be the main struggle for you, but definitely test the waters before you jump in. In my opinion, the economy is no where near a recovery, not as bad as a year ago, but still has a long way to go...especially the boating industry. I work my second job (our business) every night and most weekends to make sure it is something I want to permanently switch too full time. When you have a good handle on things, you will know when it is the right time to make the commitment to switch permanently. Good Luck!
    It really is a tough decision, your right. I have an idea of something I could do for my own business, but it is a consulting gig that would be a conflict of interest to my current job.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Wow! I feel your pain! But right now is probably not the best time to change careers and one in the Water Sports Industry at this time to me would NOT be wise (look what happened to my beloved Boaters World!!!). I work at a Fortune 500 company and for the past year my site HAS growing, that being said we have had a hiring freeze imposed on us from corporate for the past year. We do hire contractors but they receive NO benefits, NO time off! I feel bad for them when they have sick kids at home. It is a double wammy as they have to take off work for which they don't get paid to take them to a Doctor with which they have no insurance coverage for. If I was you I would wait a year or two to see how the industry responds. In this time do some research on what you want to do. Talk to people in the field, see how it is going, make some longer term plans. Save some money so when you do jump you have a cushion. You are YOUNG and have plenty of time to decide. Thirty is nothing I will be 50+ on Friday. Not as old as Razzman but almost!
    I hate this economy right now, bc if it was like it was a few years ago and I was where I am now, no doubt I would have made this jump. The sacrifice to my family just would be too much right now I think. But MAN WOULD I LOVE a job in the watersports industry. Not selling boats, but selling brands, or sponsorship dollars.

And I stand corrected....50 is not old!! Pops just had his 49th birthday and I have been giving him hell about it. I even got him an "Old Guys Rule" t-shirt.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Go with your instincts if you have workable plan, path forward and a spouse that can support your family. You will be second guessing yourself if the opportunity arises and you don't jump on it.
    This is HUGE. I am struggling with it nightly. Hell, daily as well.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I'm in the same spot, age, etc as you although I already have an MBA..

So weird that there are so many of us in the Telcom Industry! 3 or 4 in this thread alone.
    I wish I had gotten mine right after school. I was in a bit of a hard spot bc pops decided he was not going to give me a dime for college so I was on the 6 year plan to get finished. Lots of bar tending, an exotic car detailing business, selling newspaper subscriptions to the Atlanta Journal and Constitution in front of grocery stores (paid very well actually)

How many of you fellas are in the telecom industry by the way?

What does everyone do?'
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't get a Finance degree. They are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need anymore of them..
    Tell me about it. My first degree was Marketing.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Start your own business doing what you love. Start small-- keep expenses down. Keep your current job in the meantime. Do it till you can't afford to go to your old job anymore. Good luck! Don't look back!
    Easier said than done!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

So I guess what I'm trying to say is follow your heart but provide for your family first. I was lucky, my wife has the same goals as me and isn't all about making more money, we both value happiness and TIME (be it with family, friends or doing your favorite activity) more then stuff (although a Moomba is stuff and it provides happiness). I'm 33.[/QUOTE]

Very solid advice....Family will ALWAYS come first. My wife sounds a lot like yours.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    we need to have a few beers at Johnny's to hash this out . . .

I've gone the corporate route while a few of my friends have gone the entrepreneur route. For what it's worth, I'll give you my view on the pro's & con's of both. If you care to hear it, I'll also give you my view of what an MBA is worth from a monetary, career and personal perspective.
    Absolutely. When are you free? Johnny's in Grayson?? PM me and we will set this up!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Absolutely. When are you free? Johnny's in Grayson?? PM me and we will set this up!
    Yep Johnny's or Hail Mary Pub works for me. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    I wish I had gotten mine right after school. I was in a bit of a hard spot bc pops decided he was not going to give me a dime for college so I was on the 6 year plan to get finished. Lots of bar tending, an exotic car detailing business, selling newspaper subscriptions to the Atlanta Journal and Constitution in front of grocery stores (paid very well actually)

How many of you fellas are in the telecom industry by the way?

What does everyone do?'

I got mine about 4 years after I graduated college. I was glad I waited - I got a LOT more out of it than I would have if I had gone right after my undergrad.

I work for a Cost Consultant. We do financial, accounting and plant consulting for rural (clec/ilec) phone companies.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)