Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Easier said than done!
    Nobody said it would be easy. Nothing worth having is easy. First off, iff you have work that will pay for education, get all you can. That's a no-brainer.

The thing about a side business is you can offset some of your taxable income in the beginning. Talk to a tax adviser recommended by a small business person you admire. You will learn a lot. Remember, it's not what you make; it's what you keep.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    your entitled to your opinion but if that is truely what he wants to do - I say go for it. There is a lot of "everything" out there in this world and that's not a reason NOT to do something. If it brings you joy, happiness, or a feeling of accomplishment then all the power to ya! Plus, I doubt highly that having one would hinder one's ability to be productive in society?

It's kind of like a Masters Degree..............It doesn't guarantee you more money or success or happiness! But it surely won't hurt you to have it in your tool belt!

I agree 100%.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    if you have work that will pay for education, get all you can. That's a no-brainer.
    I'm all for using someone else's money, but many companies that provide any type of educational compensation require a time commitment from you. In other words, if they pay then you have to stay. It's normally somewhere between an 18-24 month commitment. If you decide to leave, then you will have to repay.

So, if sign up for an 18-24 month Executive MBA program you will be at your employer for the next 3-4 years. That's a long time to be at a job/employer where you aren't happy.

Some companies also require that you maintain a "B" average.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I'm all for using someone else's money, but many companies that provide any type of educational compensation require a time commitment from you. In other words, if they pay then you have to stay. It's normally somewhere between an 18-24 month commitment. If you decide to leave, then you will have to repay.

So, if sign up for an 18-24 month Executive MBA program you will be at your employer for the next 3-4 years. That's a long time to be at a job/employer where you aren't happy.

Some companies also require that you maintain a "B" average.
    Good point. I am lucky as I believe I am with the only company in my industry who does not require you stay. I would probably be right in assuming it has something to do with us being multinational more or less.

When I was with AT&T they made me pay back a small amount bc I left them before 1 year after my last reimbursement.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden