Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm in the same spot, age, etc as you although I already have an MBA..

My piece of advice? Take a part time job in your desired industry - see if the fit and field are right for you. Start working Saturdays or a couple nights a week. If you feel it's a "fit" for you - then you can start developing a resume targeted towards that field and the added bonus will be that your resume can show your new "field experience" even if it's only a week or a month of part time work in said field.

Good luck man. Proceed, but proceed with caution.

So weird that there are so many of us in the Telcom Industry! 3 or 4 in this thread alone.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    Oh sorry Razzman! This Friday though I will be closer to your age when I hit Fifty Two. (Notice how I spelled it out, not noticed as easily)
    Sorry to dissapoint you but i'll add another year to that gap tomorrow, fifty-four
    2007 Mobius LSV

IMO, I wouldn't get a Finance degree. They are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need anymore of them..
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

I can totally relate to your problem. I am 29 and have a job that is ok, but not what I love. My wife and I also own our own business, which I would love to do full time, but money permitting, it is just not possible to give up my current job right now. My solution, work the second job as much as possible. Having kids will be the main struggle for you, but definitely test the waters before you jump in. In my opinion, the economy is no where near a recovery, not as bad as a year ago, but still has a long way to go...especially the boating industry. I work my second job (our business) every night and most weekends to make sure it is something I want to permanently switch too full time. When you have a good handle on things, you will know when it is the right time to make the commitment to switch permanently. Good Luck!
    2006 Mobius XLV

Start your own business doing what you love. Start small-- keep expenses down. Keep your current job in the meantime. Do it till you can't afford to go to your old job anymore. Good luck! Don't look back!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I worked selling Cell phones for about 3 years while going to school then moved to be a Tech for a Computer company about 10 years ago, I started a small side business doing what I liked (Electronics, Home Automation, Home Audio and Digital Surveillance). I took it slow, kept my job while building the company up and 7 years ago moved across the province with my wife to live near a lake and start the business in the new area. (Of course I wasn't into wakeboarding at this time but 3 months after moving my wife convinced me to buy an old boat. 3 boats later we got a new XLV and I'm an addict when it comes to the lake, it's my absolute favorite thing to do)

For the first few years we got to see what direction the business would take (90% of our installs are digital surveillance systems) I had to travel to installs but I still had a lot of freedom and the money was good. Now I have 3 full time installers and I actually like my job. There are a lot of resonsibilities with your own business but one of my priorities was family, leisure time and a good lifestyle over money, but fortunatley I now have all the above (forecast is good this week so as the boss I will be forced to take a lake day).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is follow your heart but provide for your family first. I was lucky, my wife has the same goals as me and isn't all about making more money, we both value happiness and TIME (be it with family, friends or doing your favorite activity) more then stuff (although a Moomba is stuff and it provides happiness). I'm 33.

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't get a Finance degree. They are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need anymore of them..
    your entitled to your opinion but if that is truely what he wants to do - I say go for it. There is a lot of "everything" out there in this world and that's not a reason NOT to do something. If it brings you joy, happiness, or a feeling of accomplishment then all the power to ya! Plus, I doubt highly that having one would hinder one's ability to be productive in society?

It's kind of like a Masters Degree..............It doesn't guarantee you more money or success or happiness! But it surely won't hurt you to have it in your tool belt!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

we need to have a few beers at Johnny's to hash this out . . .

I've gone the corporate route while a few of my friends have gone the entrepreneur route. For what it's worth, I'll give you my view on the pro's & con's of both. If you care to hear it, I'll also give you my view of what an MBA is worth from a monetary, career and personal perspective.

I would be willing to bet that no one hiring an employee has ever said " look at this jackass that got more education." Plus with an MBA you can get it online which you could work on while you where waiting for the economy to continue to turn around. I think this is a good thing to start with and then you can continue to decide. Good luck.
    '07 Moomba Outback V.

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    WaterBullDawg - It's great to know you have benefits and a regular paycheck. In a world that sometimes can be rough and upside down, those are two things for which we can be grateful every day. That said, I encourage you to further explore work that you can approach each day with passion. I don't know your circumstances so have no idea how you would do that, but think that there is something to be said for not spending the better part of your life doing something just for a paycheck. Seems to me that in your DNA mix is a set of talents, strengths, and interests unique to you that will deliver for you and your loved ones in the biggest way with a job to match. If you can afford it, I encourage you to get your MBA. Regardless of where you go in your career, an MBA degree delivers earning power in the marketplace and will even have application to your personal life. If you go that route, don't get hung up on brand name. After thirty years in government and business, I've seen them all and can tell you that success comes in equal doses from both no-name as well as top tier graduate schools. Opt for the executive program. You get to keep your job while attending school. Life will be a challenge, but thousands before you have done it. Make absolute sure your wife buys in to the program. It will be tought for a couple of years. Your employer might even help pay part of the tab. - Deerfield

Great insight here Deerfield. I get excited just thinking about being in a career that I wake up wanting to do. My paycheck is nice, but there are downfalls with it as with all of them. My job takes me an hour and a half to get to one way, so it takes away from my family which can be tough.

The way I have been leaning in my thinking is to place more importance of having a happier husband and father at home after work. Not that I am unhappy! I am blessed beyond belief and I know well aware of my blessings.

I am leaning towards the MBA as well. The Executive MBA. There is a program on a satellite campus of The University of Georgia near where I live that I could do this a couple nights a week for a year and a half. I am heavily considering this. To top it off, my work will pay up to 7,000 dollars a semester towards it which is NIIIICE.

Thanks for the input buddy...
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden