Default How to Remove Seadek

Ok so this subject will come up sooner or later so i'll post a solution now.

I had placed 3mm Cool Gray Seadek strips on my gunwale tops to use as step pads. Worked real well except that 3mm is not thick enough imo so i wanted to remove and try some 5mm Storm Gray. So i started to remove it and it leaves behind a very tacky glue surface that nothing seems to remove!

Researching the Seadek site i found a comment about using mineral spirits, let it site for 10 minutes then remove that with acetone. Worked like a charm without issue. Re-wax the surface and your done.
    2007 Mobius LSV

try Goof Off much stronger than goo gone. but mineral spirits is much cheap i believe.

Ed, just make sure the gasoline is not from the two cycle weed wacker can.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Neither Goof Off or Goo Gone will remove it, trust me. Now gas probably will take it off but i didn't want to use gas on the gelcoat so close to the upholstery. Not to mention using gas isn't exactly the safest method now is it?
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Neither Goof Off or Goo Gone will remove it, trust me. Now gas probably will take it off but i didn't want to use gas on the gelcoat so close to the upholstery. Not to mention using gas isn't exactly the safest method now is it?
    Wow that is some Sticky stuff... like it should be
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    I haven't noticed that gas does any harm to the swim platform and you ain't supposed to be smoking a big fatty while using it.
    Ed, I removed the sticky on my swim platform with gasoline as well. Worked really good and I got a decent buzz from it. My beer did taste funny that evening though....
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Funny. I'm drinking my brother's homemade beer tonight. It's a little varnishy, but I'm not removing a pad. Oh well.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!