Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shaft packing upgrade

So I need to replace my shaft packing due to the fact that it is laeking a steady stream of water. So I called AWS today and they said that they have a no keak fully sealed upgrade kit for that and it runs abou $150. Around $300 installed but I am just gonna get the parts and do it myself. I was just wondering if anybody has done this and if there is any part of this upgrade that is a headache? Other then the location of course...
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

I don't have any experiance with installing one, but my boat (allegedly) has it already, but for some reason my bilge is always full. Dealer said nothing is wrong, but the dripless shaft seal sure seems to drip on my boat, lol.
    2013 Outback V

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....dripless+shaft
    I only needed a 2nd person to help push the shaft when installing the seal. Couldn't get enough leverage from inside the boat.

Six years ago, I replaced the wax cord with a graphite cord with no leaks since. They have since come out with the Teflon cord. Either way, these cords hold up much better than the wax cords and I still can't figure out why they still use it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

stretch,

I was initially going to install the dripless shaft seal like the new Moombas have but I learned that the new packing ropes are a lot more durable and drip a lot less than the old wax packing rope, and cost less than $10 vs $150 for the dripless seal. So I thought I would give the new rope a chance and if it doesn't hold up after a couple seasons, then I may spend the $150 on the dripless. But for less than $10 and about 30 minutes of work, it was a no brainer for me. I figure a have a lot better things to spend $150 on.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    I don't have any experiance with installing one, but my boat (allegedly) has it already, but for some reason my bilge is always full. Dealer said nothing is wrong, but the dripless shaft seal sure seems to drip on my boat, lol.
    I have the same issue, I believe the water is coming from somewhere else. I do take some comfort in the fact that you are having the same issue as me.

My bilge never had any water in it. Now I'm not so sure. I had it in the driveway today and started it up with the fake-a-lake plunger and water was streaming out of the shaft opening. I would imagine it goes the other way too??
    Not sure what to do other than try and get it on the water and check? Why the heck would it start doing this out of the blue? Supposed to be dripless?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchiZWfFAn8

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

If the water was coming out of the shaft log, outside of the boat, it is because the seal system is water lubricated from the motor. Water is pumped to the seal and exits through the log down the shaft. The system is dripless as long as the alignment is good and the shaft does not wear one side or the other of the seal.
    Eric Johnson
    Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
    OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

its dripless into the boat
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

If it is dripping in the boat then the seal itself is damaged. The seal can be replaced and the motor would need to be aligned.
    Eric Johnson
    Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
    OJ PROPS 800-359-9730