Thread: Kicker Setup

Default Kicker Setup

I have a Kicker 700.5 as the single amp in my boat right now and i just ordered a set of the KM6500.2 for the tower. My question is can I run this amp to power the sub and towers or should I look for a new second amp for the towers.

Thanks,
    Mark
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

I just put in a Kicker KX800.4 to power my two tower speakers and 12" Sub. I'm about to post a new thread about the install.

While i'm sure Phil White from Kicker will jump in on this when seen, you might want to read his posts in the thread from WakeWorld concerning the same type of question on the Kicker KM6500.2.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Hey New Guy!

For the KM6500.2's, (or any tower speaker system for that matter) you are going to be better served using a dedicated tower speaker amp. There are numerous reasons:

1. Tower speakers as a general rule take and handle more power than the in-boat speakers. The KM6500.2's will handle 200 watts RMS per channel comfortably all day. This is way more power than the 700.5 will deliver, as it was designed optimally for in-boat speaker applications.
    2. It is nice to be able to turn the tower speakers off for those times when you don't want them playing. With a dedicated tower speaker amp, all you need is a switch on the remote-turn-on lead for the tower amp.
    3. Dedicating a new amp to the tower speakers allows you to maintain the stock wiring for the 700.5, alllowing the in-boat system to run as designed. Adding more speakers to it will make the amp work harder and run hotter.

Take a look at the ZXM450.2 as a proper amp for a basic simple installation, or use an equivalent stereo amplifier that will deliver 150 - 200 watts RMS into a 4-ohm load per channel. With the ZX450.2 you will be operating at 4-ohms and you will have 300 watts total power up on the tower.

For a hotter system, consider bridging a ZX650.4 into a KM6500.2 set. That will deliver 325 watts per side to the speakers, and will provide a little bit of headroom, so you can drive the speakers to their rated power handling without clipping.

If you are considering upgrading later to a 6-pack, (6 cans, a set of KM6500.2's, and the optional extra pair of mids that are sold as the KM6500) you might want to consider a pair of the ZX300.1 class A/B monoblocks to drive the 6-pack for a total of 600 watts of power up on the tower. Otherwise, you can use the basic ZXM450.2 for a 6-pack as well. With a 6-pack and a ZXM450.2 you are operating the amp at 2-ohms, and you will have 225 watts per side, for 450 watts of total power up on the tower.

Hopefully that makes sense?

If not post back; I am here to help make sense of it all...

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 05-17-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Phil I will probably go with the 650.4 for now. Once I get everything in I'm sure there will be more questions

So right now it the system is going to consist of:
    Kicker 10" L5 sub
    Polk components
    Kicker 6500.2 Towers
    Kicker 650.4 Tower amp
    -Mark
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Sounds awesome New Guy. Get Tunes man LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike you started this with the sub so I'm blaming all expenses on you

BTW do you still need that carpet? It has been sitting in my office I just have to make it to the fed ex location.
    -Mark

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    Mike you started this with the sub so I'm blaming all expenses on you

BTW do you still need that carpet? It has been sitting in my office I just have to make it to the fed ex location.
    Yes i could use the carpet if you dont mind. =) That carpet was hard to come by and i would like to have it around if i need some extra.

Thanks man
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]