Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help cleaning up the wake on XLV

Having issues having a clean, crisp wake on my 08 XLV. I'm usually pulling friends who like 21-22mph and I also have newbies that I try to keep around 20. Anyone have suggestions on ballast settings. I usually have 3-4 people in the boat plus rider. I've tried completely empty and adjusting the plate and I've tried full center and adjusting the plate. I've added a little ballast to one side or the other to level the boat but I'm not at all filling the v-drive sacs yet since I'm pulling newbs and the wake is still plenty big. Seems that the wake cleans up at 24mph.

So far I have found that the amount of weight doesn't matter as much as placement, wake plate setting and rope length. I think if you get the other three taken care of it will all come into place. How much ballast are you using?
    2009 Moomba XLV

I'm a little different I guess since I have an 02' Outback LS...but I get pulled at 24mph as well as a few other people that ride with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
    So far I have found that the amount of weight doesn't matter as much as placement, wake plate setting and rope length. I think if you get the other three taken care of it will all come into place. How much ballast are you using?
    Stock center bag usually pretty full...around 600-700lbs maybe. Like I said, I'll only add just a little ballast to one of the v-drive sacs to level out the boat from side to side. I've played with the plate in every way. Guess just trial and error. I'm also looking back to see where the sweet spot would be and I can just adjust the rope.
    Last edited by you da man; 05-16-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Have you GPS calibrated your speedo?

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Have you GPS calibrated your speedo?
    Perfect Pass Stargazer to be ordered this week. I already thought about speedo error with the paddle wheel. After driving a boat with Perfect Pass it's a no brainer to get the Stargazer.

I wonder if your speedo isn't a couple mph fast. I know mine was almost 3 mph off. Guess you'll know soon enough.. should be a good upgrade for you too!

speed + weight up front. if it's washed out - speed up.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Having issues having a clean, crisp wake on my 08 XLV. I'm usually pulling friends who like 21-22mph and I also have newbies that I try to keep around 20. Anyone have suggestions on ballast settings. I usually have 3-4 people in the boat plus rider. I've tried completely empty and adjusting the plate and I've tried full center and adjusting the plate. I've added a little ballast to one side or the other to level the boat but I'm not at all filling the v-drive sacs yet since I'm pulling newbs and the wake is still plenty big. Seems that the wake cleans up at 24mph.
    Need to drain the center bag. If you pulling newer people who want to go slow, shorten the rope and the wave will form sooner. Drop the ballst to Zero. Make people move around to clean your edges. Wite wash means to much weight on that side.

Being a big XLV it has a beefy wake empty. Also you wont get a super clean wake under 20, thats part of the learning curve. The wash wake will be easier to cross and softer under there board.

You cant have a super clean wake and slow speeds at the same time in a bigger boat.

I can ride at 60 at 18 in mine and i have a clean wake, yet im shorter rope. Lower speeds shorter rope less weight. Thats the formula.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Before I upgraded my XLV from Gravity III (1100 lbs or so) to at least the Gravity Games level (2000+ lbs), I could easily predict when I'd have trouble cleaning up the wake. It was on the days that I had fewer than five people (one riding, four adults in the boat). If you can coax another couple of people onto your boat next time, maybe you'll know if it's worth upgrading.

The center bag would be the priority to upgrade if you decide that it's worthwhile. I first got 750's for the rear, but it was unbalanced without more in the center.

Yes, calibrating by GPS would be a good idea. The threshold for cleaning up the wake will be at about 18-19 MPH. If you need to adjust, making a note of how much adjustment is required will let you similarly adjust the target speed for riders to preserve their real-world preferences.

I usually don't bother trying to get the boat balanced well enough to clean up both wakes. I like my downramp a bit washed out in case I fall short, which still happens often enough.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini