Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Talking

Kane, I did the push by hand thing 2 times before saying enough of this.

Fortunately I know guys in the fab business, otherwise these hitches off the shelf are in the $300 range. But can you really put a price on your back?
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

TL7, thanks, that helps a lot. I was thinking it would make a diff to drop the tongue but I wasn't sure how much.

Seems from the few pics I have seen the tower is the biggets issue. Does anyone know if there us a good aftermarket tower that folds lower?

My driveway has a slight incline, still trying to figure if that will help or hurt. I don't think the incline is enough to cause the back of the boat to hit the top and but I do think the incline would also help lower the tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by N518LF View Post
    I am totally new to boating but am very addicted to it (and wakeboarding). Since the wife loves to be on the water she is willing to consider a boat. With that said I have been looking and have read many good things about the Moomba line and I am partial to the LSV. I do want a v-drive but my other top priority is it HAS to fit in my garage. Depth is not an issue, I have a tandom garage (deep enough for two cars).

The issue that I am not sure about is the opening is only 82.5 inches at the tallest part and my drive-way has a slight incline. I know whatever tower I get will need to fold down but will the LSV fit. If not, how about the Outback V.

When I am ready, I would prefer to buy new (even if it is last year's model) but I won't go older than an 07 if I buy used.

Also, I live in SD and I can't find a local dealer. Does this mean if I buy a Moomba I am stuck driving 8 hours for warranty work?

thanks in advance for your help.
    IDK if you have to drive 8 hours for warranty work. I will check with our local dealer and ask them if they know the way warranty work goes. From experience other dealers of anything don't like doing warranty work on your stuff if you didn't buy it from them.

Heres a pic of our boat in the drive way this year, i have a pretty serious incline and i only have about 1/2 clearance from my trailer to the ground. This also causes the front axle to come off the ground when back in and pulling out. The good thing is i don't have to get a drop hitch, let air out of my tires, or anything. Bad thing is i cant park the boat in the driveway and its a real pain to do anything with it nose down like that. This also requires me to have the trailer level on my truck. If the trailer sit with the tongue to high the rear drags, tongue to low and the trailer binds up on the hitch from the extream angle.

I just measured my garage door opening. From the floor of the garage to the weatherstrip seal is 82.5 inches. Weather seal is .5 inches and the vynal its attached to is .5 so 84inches exactly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mmandley; 05-17-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

TL7, thanks, that helps a lot. I was thinking it would make a diff to drop the tongue but I wasn't sure how much.

Seems from the few pics I have seen the tower is the biggets issue. Does anyone know if there us a good aftermarket tower that folds lower?

My driveway has a slight incline, still trying to figure if that will help or hurt. I don't think the incline is enough to cause the back of the boat to hit the top and but I do think the incline would also help lower the tongue?
    Yea, it makes a huge difference to drop the tongue. A little incline doesn't hurt either as that puts the tongue (and thus the tower hinge) a little lower still. I would say that if you have 82" you can make it. Make sure your garage door opens all the way-- I had to adjust mine to pull the door up higher. Good luck.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

last house I was in I put in 9ft doors and I loved them(although the premium price over 8ft doors was a ton....) current house has 7ft doors and I hate them. have to unhook the boat and drop the front wheel all the way to the ground to get the boat in. tower is not a big issue, but mirror hits. guess I'm just too lazy to remove it each time..
    takes 2 of us to push it in, but the driveway is completely level so that's a bonus

mb advertises the tomcat as a true 7ft door friendly tower. wish more of the boat companies would ensure that towers collapse to allow them to be backed in and out of a 7ft door since that was the standard for years and years..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Instead of the height problem, when you guys figure out how to make a 8.5' width trailer fit through a single 8' width door let me know

Quote Originally Posted by pmoomba View Post
    Instead of the height problem, when you guys figure out how to make a 8.5' width trailer fit through a single 8' width door let me know
    Turn the tires "inside out" and take off the wheel wells?

Just confirming, we have an 82 inch opening, floor to frame (no weatherstripping), and the LSV fits in with maybe about a 1/4 in. to spare, but we need to use something besides the trailer jack because it doesn't allow the tongue to go low enough.

Jam door all the way up with a wood block.
    Flip mirror upside down.
    Using a floor jack, lift tongue and flip trailer jack up out of the way, then lower trailer onto a piano dolly so the tongue is way down.
    Push boat up into the garage.

Tower ends up being the highest point. Also, didn't need to let air out of tires, but the driveway is a slight incline up into the garage which helps keep it lower. Took about an hour and a half to get this process all figured out the first time, but it fits!! Now only takes maybe 15 minutes... and 3 of us to push the boat up into the garage.

TL7,
    I have a 7 ft. opening and a slight incline also. I can fit my 09 OB V tower folded with room to spare. The incline actually help me clear the top of the garage door. Check out the 2011 LSV with the new tower option that folds forward. I believe it folds lower (from the picture) and can be folded by 1 person. Good Luck!
    _________
    09 OB V

You guys got me to thinking which is kinda scary. I actually have a decline toward the garage and have a 7ft door. We can not get the Supra Comp in the garage because the back of the trailer drags when attached to truck. The declie stops about 8-10 feet in front of the garage. Anyway, I see alot of you push and pull your boats in by hand and I can do that on flat ground but don't think I could stop the boat if it were to get a head of steam going down the incline, but do any of you think that a golf cart or riding mower could stop it? i think I could get something fabricated to get the tongue low enough to get the rear over the dip to get in the garage, and think that it will fit under the door? (I also hope that the new trailers have a little more clearance than the older ones) I am not so sure though because in me head anyway an incline helps more than a decline to get it through with out letting air out of tires and all that fun stuff.

I know that the new LSV has a different tower and that the Outbacks have the older Mobius?everything tower, does one sit lower than the other? I assume the Outbacks sit a little lower, but may be wrong on that.

Great, I had been worried about length, and now you have me worried about the height, i guess I need to build a 30 foot level shop with a 12 foot door to get my toys that I don't even have yet out of the rain.