Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wakeboard Rope Length for Wake Clearance

Im riding a 2010 Hyperlite Premier behind a 08 mobius lsv

Ive been riding for a few years not but really started getting into it last year. Im working on clearing the wake. What rope length are you guys using?

Thanks

I ride @ 70 feet @ 23 mph.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

It can vary by boat, speed, wake size and shape rider skill and of course preference. I've had riders that prefer 65', 70' and 75'. There is no set length.
    2007 Mobius LSV

There will be a sweet spot, varying by boat type, ballast and speed, where the wake is still somewhat narrow but fully-formed. Too long and the wake is wider. Too short and the wake is not fully-formed. In my XLV (with anything over 1500 lbs of ballast), it's around 65' of rope.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

73 ft. 22.8 MPH full ballast.
    SUNSHINE DAYDREAMS!!
    2008 LSV
    Wetsounds 3-some on tower. Wetsounds in boat. Wetsounds XS12 Sub. Green LEDs interior.

If you are just starting to learn to clear the wake, I would suggest 60'-65' and back the boat down to about 20-21mph. This will help in that you don't have a large distance to jump, and your not traveling too fast. Once you feel comfortable with that, the length is up to you. I ride at 70' at 24mph with my XLV...all boats vary a bit with weight and size. Its all about practice and what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
    2006 Mobius XLV

the shorter the rope the easier it will be to learn how to go wake to wake. Dont try with a long line as you will have to cut harder, which will make you go faster which will be harder to control once you are in the air. Start will a short rope no ballast learn how to edge properly, how to pop off a smaller wake and how to control yourself in the air and land properly before you start to go big. As you get more comfortable increase boat speed, rope length and how hard you edge.

Quote Originally Posted by saskie99 View Post
    the shorter the rope the easier it will be to learn how to go wake to wake. Dont try with a long line as you will have to cut harder, which will make you go faster which will be harder to control once you are in the air. Start will a short rope no ballast learn how to edge properly, how to pop off a smaller wake and how to control yourself in the air and land properly before you start to go big. As you get more comfortable increase boat speed, rope length and how hard you edge.
    All of this is great! Remember, you need to limit the variables in order to get comfortable. You can always have the same speed (as long as you have a good driver). You can always use the same length of rope. Shorter is better to learn. Smaller wake is better to learn. Learn the basics properly, then your learning curve will have a solid fondation and tricks will be easier to pick up later.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by SEARK View Post
    I ride @ 70 feet @ 23 mph.
    X 2 (actually 23.5 on PP)

75-80 feet
    24-24.5 mph

It's not really about line length when you are beginning. It's about a proper, progessive edge and line tension..

Good luck! There are a lot of good instructional videos on progressive edging and line tension. Go search them out!
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)