Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nothing is Easy!

I finally got home and it wasn't raining for a change (last 3 weeks) and planned on replacing the oil in the Bearing Buddies! For the life of me I cannot get the drain/fill plug out. It won't Budge

It's 3/8in allen and I stripped the allen wrench trying to get it loose. Might have even screwed up the plug??

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Can you drill a new hole next to it and put in a new plug?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Are these regular bearing buddies? I admit I haven't really looked at the ones that came on our OBV trailer (just got it last year) but typically there is no oil in these, but grease for the bearings. They usually have a zerk fitting on it to attach a grease gun.
    2008 Outback V

Boatmate has used oil bath bearings since '06 I think. The plugs have a sealant on them i believe and will also sometimes rust in place. Spray some penetrating oil on them and let them sit for awhile and try again.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Boatmate has used oil bath bearings since '06 I think. The plugs have a sealant on them i believe and will also sometimes rust in place. Spray some penetrating oil on them and let them sit for awhile and try again.
    I think it's too late as he has stripped the allen head. You'll need to use an extractor at this point but yeah, put some penetrating oil on it before trying to remove it with an extractor.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

BobP - they are the GOLD series and use 50wt oil. Recommended change is after 20,000 miles and I'm sure it's there as I don't beleive previous owner ever changed.

Kaneboats - I wouldn't want to risk getting any metal fillings in the hub as then I'd have REAL problems

Cabb and Razzman - did use penetrating oil and that sucker is solid tight. I might be able to use a larger Allen head (ratchet style) and see if it works. Going to get one today and try tonight. Will buy an extractor as well for backup plan. Will more than likely need to buy a new plug to replace. I don't know the size and need to get the old one out first. Watch - it'll be saturday/sunday and no place will be open that carries a SS allen plug that fits

Just irritating that a 10 minute job is now taking over 2 days to do. The good lord just doesn't want me to get on the water yet appehrently??

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I'd be scared too and only do it as a last resort. You should be able to get it with the extractor but if you have to drill a new hole use a shop vac while you're drilling. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Viking,

I think we've all been there. There a post recently about a guy taking like 4 hrs to get the oil filter off. As far as what size plug, if u can get the other one off, then you'll know what u need. But don't strip that one too!

Good luck.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks Razz and Viking. I never bothered to look at them, now I know. Good luck Viking, I hope it all works out for you.
    2008 Outback V

Viking - If you get it out and this weekend can't find a stainless steel plug from a local source, send it to me and I'll get the replacement for you. I'm not traveling next week, so am around to receive and send mail. You're kind of isolated out there in Big Sky country. We gotta get you on the water. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles