Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ballast Upgrade Complete, few issues

The last two days my father and I completed our ballast upgrade. We have a 2007 LSV with the Gravity 1 system and upgraded with 750's in the rear and an IBS up front. We drilled two 3/4" thru hulls (takes more than a few brews to get the guts to actually drill), have 2 Rule 1100 pumps feeding the two rear sacs, and plumbed a 'Y' fitting from the Gravity 1 sac so the stock pump can feed the middle sac and IBS. We have Tsunami 800's draining the two rear sacs and the IBS. With multiple trips to Lowes and spending what seemed like an eternity figuring out where to put the thru hull fittings for the pumps, we finally got it done. Unfortunately, like every project, there have been a few issues...

First, we put it in the water (no leaks thank god), hit the fill button, and everything worked great. Hit the drain button, and not so well. The drain pumps for the two rear sacs wouldn't prime. They would turn on, but would not run any water until we actually sucked through the drain holes to get them to prime. Since that inital draining issue it has been hit or miss, sometimes it primes and sometimes not. Has anyone had an issue with this or know a fix?

Also, with the 'Y' fitting feeding the middle sac and IBS, it's not getting much water at all to the IBS. The middle sac fills completely and actually starts draining through the drain pump before the IBS is actually filled. Has anyone tried this type of setup and dealt with the same issue?

We've also noticed that the rear sac's tend to lose water while we're wakeboarding/surfing. Not noticing any leaks, we figured this was due to the back pressure created by the water moving under the boat and think if we intstall one way valves on the fill lines that should prevent that issue.

Other than those three main things the set up rocks and I have to thank everyone here for the help. Went surfing today and have NEVER been able to ride as far back as we did today. Also filled up the rear sac's all the way and went boarding and the wake was huge. Couldn't be more happy. Would love to post pictures but we forgot to charge the camera before we came up to the lake, my apologies.

Pics would certainly help. I did this upgrade last year except I plumbed the bow sac and center sac individually.

1. Drain pumps, could be air lock, could be kink in the hose, make sure the 800 are wired properly, they will run wired backwards and thus drain slowly but won't help the priming process.

2. The y to the ibs and center, there is a bi direction y valve or fill the ibs first then flow the water down into the center, depends if you have independent drains.

3 loss of water in rears is probably pushing through the drain lines or the vent lines if you have them.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

As for the rear emptys, make sure the pumps are low in the boat. next make sure the output hose on the empty pump is faceing up, let the fill pump run till you have a good steady stream of water comeing out the empty thruhull (assuming its on the side like the factory) as this will prime the pump to make sure there is no air in the pump motor.

I ran into the same issue of the bag emptying while underway-problem solved with a oneway valve on the fill line-I put mine about 12" away from the bag
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

We checked the wiring and chased the tubes, no kinks and wired correctly. The pumps are low in the rear of the boat, just inside the divider on the engine side to keep them out of sight. We have the bags vented to each drain line and the rears drain to opposite sides of the boat. The IBS has two drains on either side and everything has its own thru hull.

Daze, right now we have a 90 degree elbow on the drain pump output and input, we'll try a straight and see how it goes. I assume we can just turn the pump 90 degrees and not have to add more tube but we'll see.

Votto, I've seen the directional Y on wakemakers. Where did you install it?

We also noticed when we tried to put the floor back on that the gas tank had shifted back and now there is a gap where the front panel meets the front of the boat. We dropped it in the water without the floor when we tested it and think thats what did it. Dang thing is so heavy we cant get it back.

I did not do the direction y i added a fourth port to the manifold seperately for the ibs plus a seperate switch.
    couple people like lsvboombox has used this with success.

i had the rear rule pumps mounted upside down in therear of the engine comparment as clos to the drain point as possible. too bad all my ballst gi to gii pics are all gone when the server was re-indexed a while back... dang it.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

did you put in the directional Y valve, like this:

http://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

or just a Y fitting, like this:

http://www.wakemakers.com/hose-barb-wye.html

I used the Y fitting, about a foot and a half from the middle sac. I am considering putting a switch valve on the middle sac line so I can turn it off once it's full.

Ok, that's what I guessed. Check in with Spencer at wakemakers, but I think you're asking a lot of your pumps with just the Y fitting. I think you will get better results with the Y valve so you can dedicate flow to the IBS then to the center bag.

I am going to try and mount the valve under the rear bench seat by the transmission. There are some pics of this install location on wakemakers site.

JGP - where did you end up drilling for the thru-hulls for your fill pumps? Would you be able to post some pictures of this? How many did you drill?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

We drilled them both on the opposite side of the stock ballast pump. Going back up to our place this weekend and will take pictures to share.