Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol fuel

Default Ethanol fuel

Is anyone having problems with using the 10% ethanol fuel? I'm about to replace my fuel pump for the second time in two years. Any and all tips, suggestions, or info would be appreciated.

I decided to never use ethanol on my boat (barring any emergencies) because of the higher burn temp, decreased efficiency, increased likelyhood of vapor lock, and water absorbing qualities. Many have run it without issue though... that's just my decision.

I just picked up an ethanol test kit from Mercury Marine. They said that I will be very surprised as to how much ethanol is in "Ethanol Free" gas. I will post results when I use it.
    04 LSV

Very interested to hear these results. I have heard before that these ethanol free gas claims are far from the truth.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I am sure there is a standard like everything else. For example, if it's less than 4% ethanol the sellers are permitted to claim it's "ethanol free". Mike?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I wont be able to use until this weekend,I left it at the lake house. Its just a test tube with a cap and some marks on the side. You put water up to the first mark gas to the second shake it up wait 10 min. and read the%. I think it was 8 dollars if you want to try your own. No chemicals involved.
    04 LSV

do you know how sensitive it is....ie can you distinguish between a 5 and 7 % ethanol concentration?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Yes but it only goes up to 20% if I remember correctly. They said it will go higher but you have to guess. I will see if I can find it online.
    04 LSV

I don't know who sells ethanol free gas in the Atlanta area anymore. So far, I've decided to drain the tank and replace the standard fuel filter with water separator/filter. I'm pretty sure my fuel pump is toast, so I'll replace that, too. After draining the tank and replacing the parts, I'm going to put a water remover in the gas and always use StaBil in the gas.