Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy How to Launch your Boat & truck

Attached is a photo showing how you know you have backed the boat trailer in too far. They forgot to unhook the boat from the trailer and then the boat driver gassed it hard to pull it off the trailer. The boat pulled the truck right into the water.

The boat won the "tug o War"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmvotto; 04-30-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Could happen to anyone. I'm paranoid about it because my parking brake doesn't work (biggest flaw on a Suburban is the stupid parking brake).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

well...at least the boat was ok!
    2006 Mobius XLV

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Attached is a photo showing how you know you have backed the boat trailer in too far. They forgot to unhook the boat from the trailer and then the boat driver gassed it hard to pull it off the trailer. The boat pulled the truck right into the water.

The boat won the "tug o War"
    Joe,

There must be more to this story. I visualize where my truck is when I back the boat off the trailer and there is NO WAY my boat would pull the truck into the water even if I reversed it in full throttle with the boat attached to the trailer. Must have been a really shallow boat ramp and most of the truck was already in the water. Or they forgot to unhook the rear transom straps as well and the trailer was floating with the boat and thus pulling up on the rear of the truck.

In any case, what a bummer! But at least it looks like the boat is worth more than the truck and the boat is okay

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Joe,

There must be more to this story. I visualize where my truck is when I back the boat off the trailer and there is NO WAY my boat would pull the truck into the water even if I reversed it in full throttle with the boat attached to the trailer.
    That looks like an S10-based Blazer, with a curb weight of either 3867 or 4071 lbs. It's not much more than my 3740 lb 3rd-generation 4Runner... which could not be trusted to stop my XLV when backing down a coarse gravel ramp. Both trucks would be on the threshold of stopping with full brakes, so I find it quite conceivable that this MC could drag the Blazer down if only its rear wheels (via parking brake) were holding it. The angle would be good for taking weight off of the rear wheels by pulling back.

I don't think that this could have happened to just anyone. Look at that nice concrete ramp bottom! It appears to offer ideal conditions. It is hard to see how powering off was even required. It could have been just floated off. That's what I do unless the ramp is very shallow. Anyone (without a checklist) can miss a step, but "More power!" isn't the solution to everything.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is my "boat test" day, when a limited men-only crew heads out to check the function of the boat, and our memory of procedure from last year. <crosses fingers>

Sled491 Guest

That's what you get for buying a MC

Kane those burb/tahoe brakes wear out quick. They do adjust up really easily. If your interested PM me and I'll give you a quick how to.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    Kane those burb/tahoe brakes wear out quick. They do adjust up really easily. If your interested PM me and I'll give you a quick how to.
    Hey, Newty - is that adjust thing something you can post on the forum? I got a Suburban too and am interested. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

"Oh Hell!! I flooded it!!!"
    '07 Moomba Outback V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-PxtlaX6E
    Here is the link on how to replace the pads on tahoes burbs and silverado's.
    These little gems I think are made of gold because they want close to $100 for a pair.
    So before you go picking up a set try to adjust them. There is usually enough meat left on them to work for a while.
    After you watch the whole video go to minute 3:00 on the video and look at the little cylinder that spreads the brake ring apart. You will see a little cogged ring, as you turn that depending on which way it will either adjust the breaks in or out. I don't recall which way you need to go but you have a 50/50 chance. You'll know soon enough. Once you know your going the right way make a few turns and slide the disc on. If its loose then take it off and adjust it again. Go until the there is a little resistance sliding the disc back on. Why they don't address adjusting them is beyond me. I would imagine they want to sell you they're gold plated brakes.
    The reason these go bad so quick is they are a really soft material made to bite hard on the drums. If you try to drive with the e-brake you will quickly destroy them. Even if they are a little out of adjustment and you back down the ramp and hit the e-brake, the weight of the boat and trailer will make them slip. Everytime you do that they will get worse and worse.
    If the wife likes to do try and drive with the ebrake on just tell her how much it is to fix. She will quickly stop doing it... Mine did!
    Then I boldly said thank you Dear.

PWI as usual...