Hybrid View

Default Bass Knob with as ws 420 eq

Anyone still use the bass knob from kicker or jl amps in conjunction with an eq with sub control?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Anyone still use the bass knob from kicker or jl amps in conjunction with an eq with sub control?
    Well i don't have a WS 420 or an EQ but i don't see how it would hurt having it there. If you optimized your bass settings to your liking on the 420 in relation to a certain position with the bass knob (say mid way) then you could add or subtract bass boost and always be able to come back to optimized. I don't know, maybe it doesn't work that way. That help? Sorry!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I don't know why u would as it would be redundant, wouldn't it? Having said that, I have the subwoofer level turned all the way up at the HU so that the sub amp is getting full input voltage and then I have the remote bass knob at the helm. I use the knob at the helm to attenuate the bass.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I have 3 JL amps and the WS420 EQ and don't mess with the knobs on the amp...why would you need to once you have them set/tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I have 3 JL amps and the WS420 EQ and don't mess with the knobs on the amp...why would you need to once you have them set/tuned?
    He's referring to the remote bass adjustment knob that many amps have under the dash, Kicker ZX's being one.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yes, a separate LC-1, JL or Kicker amplifier gain control makes sense for those who want a dedicated subwoofer level control.

The WetSounds two bass knobs are a paragraphic EQ adjusting the center frequency and EQ boost/cut with a fixed Q. And these function on the boat side rather than the tower side. This is not a true level control and should not be used as one.

So gaining the sub amp hot and using the independent level control for attenuation will allow you to mix more bass with the tower speakers without raising the in-boat speaker level as much.

I totally agree with how WetSounds has engineered their EQ and wouldn't use an external control. But I can see how it would be useful for others.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Yes, a separate LC-1, JL or Kicker amplifier gain control makes sense for those who want a dedicated subwoofer level control.

The WetSounds two bass knobs are a paragraphic EQ adjusting the center frequency and EQ boost/cut with a fixed Q. And these function on the boat side rather than the tower side. This is not a true level control and should not be used as one.

So gaining the sub amp hot and using the independent level control for attenuation will allow you to mix more bass with the tower speakers without raising the in-boat speaker level as much.

I totally agree with how WetSounds has engineered their EQ and wouldn't use an external control. But I can see how it would be useful for others.

David
    Earmark Marine
    David, thanks for the input and my technical knowledge is limited here, but i am confused by paragragh two and four above.

The JL amp has a variable bass boost of 12 db, the ws420 has a sub bass boost of i think of 12 db and the frequency range of 30 to 300hz.

will the JL counter act the ws, make it distort, or double the db gain??

As always look for ward to your expert insite.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold