Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    However, on the Kicker ZX700.5 which is what you and I have and running my sub of the 5th channel, the manual describes the remote bass knob as a “remote bass level control” and gives you “the ability to control the level of the subwoofer channel’s output remotely”. So I believe it functions the same as the PAC LC-1?
    Mine states in the specs; "Bass Boost Remote Control: 0 - 18dB at 40Hz"
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Mine states in the specs; "Bass Boost Remote Control: 0 - 18dB at 40Hz"
    Mine says "Bass Boost: Variable 0 - 18dB Bass Boost at 40Hz"

It then says, "Remote Bass (Level Control) When using the remote bass level control you have the ability to control the level of the Subwoofer Channel's output remotely".

Remember that mine is the 08 model and I think yours is the 06 model so it might be a difference between our model year amps.

This would be a good time for Phil to chime in )

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Okay, with certainty the JL Audio G6600 or M6600 bass knob is equalization boost or cut at a fixed frequency and narrow bandwidth. In JM's scenario this is redundant, less useful than the EQ and should not be used at all.

A PAC LC-1 would function as a linear (treats all frequencies equally) bass level control. So the entire bass bandwidth below the amplifier's crossover point is impacted. If you want to re-engineer a particular song or change the bass emphasis to suit the music or company then you will find the true level control to be far more responsive and create far less distortion per the amount of change.

Its not a car cabin. Remember that trying to boost 48 Hz in an open environment is just about as effective as trying to air condition the great outdoors. The distortion and tonal abberations that accompany that kind of boost simply are not worth it to my ears. So easy does it on the "bass boost." The WS-420 bass EQ is better suited to this function.

I'm not trying to make it complex... Only trying to provide some concise info. I'd rather everyone gets a grasp as to the 'whys' of how one method or set-up is significantly different and is even more efficient in its operation.

Hope everyone is on the same page.

David
    Earmark Marine

Its all clear as mud..... JK. finally got it, lose the jl knob and use the ws for sub and intergrate the pac lc into the previous JL dash hole...

LOL i just wrote Dash Hole.

Oops i was posed to preface PWI
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Okay, with certainty the JL Audio G6600 or M6600 bass knob is equalization boost or cut at a fixed frequency and narrow bandwidth. In JM's scenario this is redundant, less useful than the EQ and should not be used at all.

David
    Earmark Marine

David, tried the sub controls on the ws420 all week and they are less effective than the jl bass knob that i switched over to. Not sure why i get louder and better bass control from the knob vs the high priced EQ.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

JM,
    Because the Wetsounds has a paragraghic sub EQ (allows you to change both the amplitude and center frequency) it will closely emulate whatever the JL amp circuit is doing if you are comfortable with this concept. The JL amp frequency is fixed so it cannot duplicate the options available on the EQ. There is probably a difference in the gain of the two circuits. Personally, my ear couldn't tolerate that boost on a non-freeair sub used in a freeair application, but go with what sounds best to you.

David
    Earmark Marine

david, so would i set the sub channel to full range, therefore the eq will have better response and only feed the amp the range of the sub control. or set it to lp with the highest possible frequency..

Thx as always to you insights.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

JM,
    Your amplifier still has to be run lowpass on the channels that drive the sub but I would defeat the bass boost feature on the amp in favor of the EQ provision. Just an opinion here and opinions will vary as perceptions are very subjective. For example, people spend thousands on acoustic treatments such as corner traps to eliminate the false gain in smaller rooms that others seem to covet.

David
    Earmark Marine

thanks again David, i will give it a try this weekend and see how it turns out.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Mine says "Bass Boost: Variable 0 - 18dB Bass Boost at 40Hz"

It then says, "Remote Bass (Level Control) When using the remote bass level control you have the ability to control the level of the Subwoofer Channel's output remotely".

Remember that mine is the 08 model and I think yours is the 06 model so it might be a difference between our model year amps.

This would be a good time for Phil to chime in )

Al
    Guys-

The Kicker amps have two different controls.....

BASS BOOST - this knob is ONLY on the face of the amp and controls EQUALIZATION specifically by allowing an adjustable bump in frequency response centered at 40 Hz. This knob is to be used sparingly, as too much BASS BOOST points to system inefficiencies for your musical tastes. It does not raise or lower the sub's output, it only changes the EQ curve by boosting a narrow band of frequencies centered at 40 Hz.

REMOTE BASS LEVEL - This feature is only available on the remote bass knob which came standard on a few amp models back in the day and is now optional for all mono amps and a few of the other amps. This knob is a LEVEL CONTROLLER only.
    The remote bass knob literally turns the subwoofer's amplifier up and down, to match the music, or as Brian states, for "fun bass."

The function of the two controls is completely different, despite what could be considered misleading nomenclature.

Hope that is clear as mud... the control on the amp is EQ and the control on the RJ45 umbilical cord is level control....

Phil
    Kicker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philwsailz; 07-12-2010 at 04:08 PM.