Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions on buying a boat?

I am looking to buy my first wakeboard boat. I have looked at tons of brands, and talked to a few people who have Mastercrafts, Tiges, etc. Seems to me Moombas are the best bang for the $$$. I don't know much about what to expect as far as good years, hours, financing options. I know I don't want a brand new boat, and I don't want a 15 year note. What advice do yuo have for me? It is much appreciated.

The boat will be mainly used to wakebaord, kneeboard, tube, and just cruise around the lakes in Texas.

There's probably 4-5 pretty active members on here from Texas including myself. I bought my new '08 Moomba XLV in Sept 09 (it was a new leftover still in the showroom) as my first wake boat. I figured if I was going to make the plunge, may as well get the biggest boat they had. Moombas are the most price point boat for what you get. I meet up with another member on here with an 03 Moomba LSV and it is in awsome shape and runs like a champ, however, he does admire mine . You can easily find Moombas just a few years old in the upper 20k range with reasonable hours on them. You're in the right time of year to be looking. What will be your home lake? Alot will depend on your needs. Do you plan on storing at your house? If so, your garage may be your deciding factor. Do you plan on having alot of people on the boat? If so, the XLV will be your choice. From what I've learned so far, the Moomba boats are great for wakeboarding and surfing.
    Last edited by you da man; 05-07-2010 at 07:10 PM.

I am also from Texas (Houston) and I just picked up a 2002 Moomba Outback LS with 230 hours for under $16k. The boat was inspected by Rinkers and runs great. They even threw in their two Hyperlite boards and accessories. I just upgraded the speakers inside the boat and added tower speakers. Boat runs great, pulls great and the wake is really nice with the ballasts I have.

This is my first boat and have to say I love Moomba's. I plan on keeping this for a few years and then upgrading.

What lakes do you guys go to?

I owned a Master Craft for over 22 years but she didn't have much room in her. So my wife and I went to the 2008 Atlanta boat show and looked at all the ski boats. We decided on a Moomba for a couple of reasons.
    One, Rick Tinker was at the show (he is the President of SC) and I point blank asked him how he can sell Moombas for so much less. He said "he doesn't make much on them but he sells a lot of them". That made sense (Henry Ford I think thought of this first). We then visited the Master Craft booth and when the guy from Master Craft asked me if I wanted a Master Craft (which I did at the time) I said no I think I am going to buy a Moomba because of the vast price difference. He said "don't tell anyone I told you this but you are getting a great deal with the Moomba". Well right after that we went back to the Moomba/Supra booth and ordered an LS on the spot. We love our Moomba! Shoot with the Money I saved I was able to afford my VW Touareg!

Wink

He said "don't tell anyone I told you this but you are getting a great deal with the Moomba".

I think you just did!

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    He said "don't tell anyone I told you this but you are getting a great deal with the Moomba". !
    More and more people are figuring this out every year
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    More and more people are figuring this out every year
    Even Jody my local Ski boat expert who sells Natiques stops arguing with me when I tell him what I paid. I tell him like this, when I visit him and ask him who owns all of these Master Crafts and Ski Natiques he tells me, that is Doctor XXX, that is Surgeon XXXX, that is Dentist XXXX and that is the Lawyer XXXX. I swear this happened. Then I telll him well you are Indmar certified for Moombas now (thanks to Larry/ Engine Nut) and you can double the amount of your business because the value of the Moomba line. I go back a few Months later and see a Red Moomba in there that belongs to an engineer, I go back later and see a Grey one that belongs to an Airforce guy. Granted they aren't poor but they aren't surgeons!!! SC is smart to offer a product line that Middle Class people can afford!

SC is smart to offer a product line that Middle Class people can afford!
    There's more middle class than upper isnt there? I know I'm seeing more and more Moomba's around my lakes-even a Supra now-thats the 1st one
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

SC is smart to offer a product line that Middle Class people can afford!
    Not just that but they really are great boats..........
    There's always something cheaper out there but the Roo Rocks!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Without a doubt the best bang for the buck. And I might say the LS/LSV has to be one of the prettiest boats of all time.

OK I do like that MC X2 also.