Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bbyquist View Post
    I'll have to take a closer look at those kickers. Anybody running a JL sub?
    YUP - JL 12W3
    I think SandM runs the JL 12W6.

My sub has as much (and more) thump as you'd need/want. I swear by JLAudio stuff. Personally I think it's as good as you can find out there. But again, that just my opinion

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I run one JL 12w6 and power it with a JL 500/1 amp. Mine POUNDS!! It's a down firing sub and because of the air requirement its in the battery compartment. I crack the door to let it breath. I'm waiting for the Exile cnc sub box thats in the works for the XLV that goes in the foot area of the drives side.

If you have only one sub this is the best location for a single sub. IMO. I'm slowly working toward having 2 JL 12w6's. I'd like to drive with the foot-well one working and when we are stopped and hanging out have both subs working.

IMHO-ONE 10 inch sub is too small a sub for a open air environment, ie boat. Perfect for cars but again IMO.

Flamesuit, That made me laugh out loud!!! Classic.

Aqua
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Mr BBY - You should never feel like you have to wear a flame suit when soliciting opinions on gear. My advice to you when looking at subwoofers is look at the project as a solution and not parts. Meaning, get the right woofer for the right amplifier at the right load, and hopefully all marine enclosure. sounds complicated, but its really not. Honest.

When it comes to the world of wakesports boats, I would highly recommend looking at a 12" subwoofer and mate it to a port tuned / Bass reflex style enclosure. This type of setup will give you two distinct advantages. 1st, woofer wise, its all about cone area. Without getting brand specific etc, going with a 12" versus a 10" woofer gives you more bass. In the open air environment a single 10" woofer often times can sound washed out.

Another suggestion is to make smart upgrades. I'm not saying you have to spend tons of money the first time, but I have a feeling if you end up with a 10" solution, next year, you'll kick yourself and say, "why didnt I do a 12!!"--ARG!

Another question, I'd ask the group about is install location. Newty would be a good guy to ask as he has subs in both the helm and cubby area. I'm not fond of having to crack open your cubby to be able to hear bass. And it also restricts your useable storage as well. In my experience helm location offers a few benefits such as acoustic coupling to the cavity without any choke like you'd have in the cubby.

If your interested in Exile subs, there are several guys on here running them and can give you first hand feedback. If not, no flame suit needed. (I'm still chuckling about that).

Remember, everyone... "It's all good!"

peace,

-Brian
    Exile Audio

PS: Auquaholic - Our design on the VLX enclosure is now complete. Shoot me an email and we'll get you in the production.

Hey Brian, if your still logged in check your PM, I've got a question for ya.
    2007 Mobius LS

I do like the sound of JL subs (12w6v2 $599) but they seem so over priced I run the same amp (500rms 1000max) to a $99 Alpine type R and it sounds just as good. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with everyone about getting a 12 over a 10. Its open air on a boat. Just get a 12" woofer. You will be happier.

I would spend more money on a good amp than spend high dollars on an expensive sub. Good amp with a crappy sub will still sound good, but a crappy amp with expensive sub will sound like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan040 View Post
    I do like the sound of JL subs (12w6v2 $599) but they seem so over priced I run the same amp (500rms 1000max) to a $99 Alpine type R and it sounds just as good. Just my 2 cents.
    Don't know where your shopping but you can get the 12W6v2 for about 1/2 that price

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Exile! I've got their entry level 12" sub - the sd12 in Exile's custom enclosure powered by a kicker zx700.5 (420w rms @ 2 ohms) and it pounds but is also very musical.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

i bought my 12w6 from a guy in cali for $220. bought 3 and decided to just use one. it was new. they are all over ebay for less than 3 bills. great sub and more than enough for a boat, but it needs a good solid box..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

And I used the 12W3 (a step lower than the 6) and it's better than their entry level. I got it for a little north of $100. It's a solid sub. Shop around and you can find deals.

SandM...........I'd love to hear yours someday

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

wherebouts in montana are you?

lived in kalispell(well, actually almost to Kila) for a year and loved it, but that was a long time ago and it's been californized from what I hear...
    gf has parents in hamilton..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten