Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sled491 Guest

Default Swim platform issue

I know this has been a topic before, but I am curious about the loose platform issue. One side has become loose where the pin goes through. It has become oblong. Did most people replace the bracket or just drill it out and add a bushing?

Sled, you're right, there has been talk about this before. But, like you, I am curious of the various solutions.

I know some people drilled the holes out to 5/8" and put new, larger pins in. I also recall someone tig welding the holes in the bracket up, and re-drilling them. I've got the same issue, and have been planning to drill the holes larger. Should be a simple fix - key word is should!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Sled491 Guest

Bottom line it's just irritating, not dangerous. If you drill to the next size up what's to stop the same issue again. That's why I'm wondering about putting in a stainless bushing.

That's a good point Sled. I am thinking the holes in all 4 brackets were pre-drilled. Meaning, the swim platform wasn't in place resting on the boat brackets when they were drilled. And, this possibly being the case, things didn't align correctly (the swim platform backet(s) holes were drilled a bit too low). Then, normal use played a role in loosing things up, and making the issue even larger. I noticed that wave action plays a big role in this...

My thought was to have it good and solid, slide the platform in place, and drill the holes while everything is where it should be. I'm guessing this wasn't the case at the factory - though I could be completely off base.

Still, you bring up a valid point. So it would be real nice to hear from some peeps who have gone that route and they could fill us in on their results.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Sled491 Guest

I see your point, and it does make sense. Certianly your solution or fix is the easiest

Default Swim platform

I had new stainless brackets made at a machine shop. Nice and tight now. SC using aluminum was not the best application in this case

Sled491 Guest

What did that cost you? Have you had any issues with the reinstallation to the boat?

Well for the record platform brackets have been aluminum since as long as i can remember. That said i've never had issues with any so there has to be some nuance with the moombas that others don't have.

On mine we noticed on delivery day that the platform was crooked, got a tape measure and measured the brackets at the dealer and one bracket was 1/8" lower than the other. Doesn't sound like much but it was noticeable. I cut & placed a piece of 1/8" black hdpe between the platform and bracket and it's level now but "pops" when you stand on that end? I can't figure that one out!
    2007 Mobius LSV

My biggest complaint about the platform is this. Maybe its exactly what your talking about.

Bought new and put it in and then the locking pins slide right in. No issues at all.

Mid season the locking pins were bent slightly so i straightened them out.

End of season and now this season i have to lift up slightly on the swim deck to get the locking pins in or out. The factory hole is long elongated slightly and its now not a perfect even fit.

I think this is do to slop in the locking pins right from the start. This allows the deck to vibrate while being pulled on the trailer and while driving in the water.

I have been debating putting the deck on and taking a drill and making new holes. Then buy SS bolts to put threw it so there's no slop. Just waiting on pulling the trigger on this due to not wanting to ruin the brackets and have to buy new ones lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Sled491 Guest

Actually MM you are makeing 333's point for him. Sounds like the deck was sitting too high in the brackets. The platform settled and you now have issues. I would redrill and add bushings and go with whatever fastner you want after that. I happen to prefer the quick pins which is weird as I have no reason to take my platform off until I store it at the end of the season.